3. Of drafts...

A week flew by in a blur and the two barely crossed paths. By the time Zahra woke up each morning, Nasseem had already left for work. Even though he worked on the farm, she barely even got to see him.

Having lost her waitressing job after her boss snitched on her,  she found herself plunged into the depths of unemployment, vulnerable to the dark thoughts swirling inside her mind and threatening to spill over at any given moment. She grappled with the constant fear of sinking further into despair. 

Zahra desperately clung to one final thread of hope—this fake marriage, hoping it would help keep her head above water in the turbulent sea of her circumstances.

It was Friday when she rolled out of bed and dragged herself to the kitchen. Her throat felt like sandpaper. Realization struck her that she had forgotten to close the window before retiring for the night. Now, not only were her airways sore, but the mosquitoes had been super generous and lovey-dovey all night long.

The combination of discomfort and sleep disturbance left Zahra feeling depleted as she reached for a much-needed cup of water, hoping to soothe her parched throat and regain a sense of respite. With a groan, she trudged her way to the sink, her movements heavy and sluggish. She gulped down as much water as her belly could hold before setting the cup aside and sinking to the floor.

Zahra hugged her knees to her chest.

Her thoughts swirling with self-doubt and frustration, she confronted the reality of her dependence on Nasseem. What should she do? She can't keep living off him like a leech. The thought of continuously relying on him for support weighed heavily on her conscience. She wasn't raised to be a parasite. 

Well, she was. 

Zahra was raised to be a docile little thing until they whisked her away for marriage or something. 

But, she wanted to study, to work, to be independent and her own person. Now, faced with her current predicament, she grappled with conflicting emotions and sought a path that would restore her sense of agency and independence.

"I can't believe I ran away to avoid such fate only to resort to it as a solution," she breathed a laugh, burying her head in her arms. "The irony of life."

Sighing, she shook her head. There was no point dwelling on the past. As soon as her papers were done, she'd be out and about looking for a job befitting her degree. Then, she'll pay him back. She'll make sure of that.

As if conjuring his presence with her jumbled thoughts, Zahra heard him yawn as he dragged his feet to the bathroom.

Her heart picked up its pace and she swore under her breath. As soon as she heard the door close, she padded back to her room and leaned back against her door after closing it as quietly as possible.

Glancing at her flimsy shorts and loose, almost see-through tank top, Zahra sighed in relief. What was she even thinking about going out in such attire?

Plopping back into her bed, she checked her phone. Five a.m. it read. So this is when he wakes up, she mused, listening to him shuffle around the kitchen. She was used to rising early for work but never this early.

As soon as she heard the front door close, she peeked outside from her window. Nasseem was dressed in jeans, combat boots, and a loose tawny t-shirt—his go-to work style. Zahra watched him start his truck before sneaking out of her room when he drove off.

Surveying the kitchen, her suspicions were confirmed—there was nothing prepared for breakfast. Just as she had expected, Nasseem's routine consisted of solely consuming a thermos of black coffee on his way to work.

Her eyes landed on a plate of freshly washed fruits, a thoughtful daily gesture from him. Despite her sour mood and the lingering discomfort in her throat, a genuine smile tugged at her lips. Grateful, she reached for the plate and eagerly began indulging in the refreshing, nourishing fruits.

🏵️🏵️🍃🏵️🏵️

Unable to go back to sleep, Zahra changed into a more presentable outfit, discarding her previous sleepwear. Gathering her unruly hair, she secured it in a neat bun atop her head.

She had to do something, anything before she went crazy.

Determined to make the most of her time, Zahra embarked on a cleaning spree, meticulously dusting every nook and cranny within her reach. She tackled the laundry, ensuring that each item was washed and dried with care. Finally, she donned her gloves and mopped the floors, leaving them gleaming and free of any dirt or grime.

When done, she ventured into the kitchen, cooking up a meal she hoped would turn out palatable and satisfying.

Zahra knew Nasseem wouldn't get back until late in the afternoon, so she forced a couple of bites of the spaghetti down her esophagus before trying to distract herself with some random TV shows.

Her eyes were trained on the screen but her head was elsewhere. It kept flickering to a fake husband who was also part-time invisible. They'd agreed to at least be friends so this whole fake marriage thing would be bearable for both of them, but he was as distant as the glaring sun outside.

She didn't blame him. Perhaps he'd only suggested a friendship to ease her mind. It didn't matter. Soon, she'll be able to land herself a job as well. One that would pay better than all of her previous jobs combined.

"Well, a girl can dream, right?" Zahra murmured as drowsiness overtook her. Slowly, her eyes fluttered shut and she sunk into the pillows, snoring softly on the couch.

 Slowly, her eyes fluttered shut and she sunk into the pillows, snoring softly on the couch