6. Sunflowers.

The sun was gentle outside. It kissed their skin and blanketed everything beneath it with warmth. It cast its generous rays over the picturesque landscape, painting the rolling fields and charming barns in golden hues.

As Zahra and Nasseem entered the farm, a symphony of scents enveloped them. The earthy aroma of freshly turned soil created an atmosphere of rustic tranquility as it mixed with the sweet fragrance of blooming flowers and freshly cut grass. 

The air was filled with the familiar sounds of farm life—the gentle clucking of chickens, the distant lowing of cows, and the occasional neighing of horses.

The two of them walked side by side along the winding paths, passing rows of vibrant green crops swaying in the breeze. Their arms occasionally brushed as Nasseem shared fascinating insights about the different plants, explaining their growth cycles and the agricultural techniques employed on the farm.

They came across a group of cows grazing peacefully in a lush meadow. Zahra's face lit up when one neared the fence. She had admired their peaceful presence from afar, but up close, they seemed larger and more intimidating. 

Nasseem noticed her apprehension and gently placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It's alright," he said with a comforting smile. "They may look big, but they're gentle creatures. Let's take a closer look, shall we?"

With him by her side, Zahra mustered her courage and stepped closer to the fence. Observing them, she noticed their calm demeanor and the way they lazily chewed on grass, seemingly unperturbed by their visitors. Her fear slowly transformed into curiosity.

Sensing Zahra's growing interest, Nasseem approached one of the cows and gently patted its broad back. It tilted its head and nuzzled against his hand. Encouraged by the interaction, she cautiously reached out to touch its coat. To her surprise, the animal seemed to sense her timidity and responded with a small nudge, as if to assure her that there was nothing to fear. Zahra's initial nervousness dissolved and her expression brightened while stroking the gentle giant. 

Nasseem stood back, observing the scene before him with a soft smile. He expected her to be content with watching from a distance. So, this was a pleasant turn of events.

While busy patting every cow that approached her, afraid to forget one and end up hurting its feelings, Zahra listened intently to him as he shared snippets of information about them, explaining their importance in farming, milk production, and their gentle nature when treated with care and respect. 

Resuming their farm tour, Zahra couldn't help but reflect on what just happened. What she initially perceived as a frightening encounter turned into an enlightening experience, allowing her to see beyond the surface and discover the beauty and gentleness that resided within these magnificent creatures.

Her gaze flickered to Nasseem whom she had been wary of at the beginning but has grown to admire in the brief period since she'd met him. He seemed right at home while strolling through the narrow, muddy paths of the farm. It was obvious why he spent all of his days ensuring it operated smoothly. 

It was his home after all.

The flicker of jealousy that reared its ugly head in her heart was quickly smothered. One day, she'll find her home as well.

They reached the chicken coop, where a lively flock of hens clucked and pecked at the ground.

"No wonder everything is fresh and organic in the kitchen," she mused.

"Of course, once you reap what you sow, literally speaking, you can't go back."

Zahra chuckled. "You're right," she replied, nodding in agreement. "It's amazing how the efforts we put into nurturing something can yield such beautiful results."

Nasseem smiled at her statement, before gesturing for her to follow him further into the farm. Along the way, he pointed out various crops thriving in the fields, and Zahra marveled at the sight. Rows of vibrant green vegetables and colorful fruits stretched out before them, showcasing the bountiful harvest that the farm had produced.

They stopped near a patch of sunflowers, their golden heads turned toward the sun as if seeking its warmth and light. Zahra beamed at the gorgeous sight and couldn't resist reaching out to touch one of the petals gently.

"I've always loved sunflowers," she confessed. "They remind me of the simple joys in life, of embracing the warmth and beauty that surrounds us."

Nasseem nodded, his gaze unable to leave her as she bent over them. "They do have a way of brightening up any space, don't they? It's like they carry the essence of sunshine within them."

Next, they ventured to the stables, where majestic horses neighed and stomped their hooves. Zahra's eyes sparkled with excitement as she had the opportunity to witness such magnificent creatures.

"They're truly glorious."

"It's mating season, so it's best not to approach them," Nasseem cautioned before he promised her a chance at grooming them and perhaps even a ride at another visit. 

She nodded, satisfied with simply watching from afar. The scarce workers greeted them throughout their tour but kept their distance, busy tending to their tasks. 

"I thought you didn't have work today..?"

"A few have a rotating schedule so the farm would always be looked after. It's not a regular office where you simply turn off the light and leave until it's Monday again."

"Oh, I see."

Having learned a lot about his rigorous job and the enormous responsibilities he had, she couldn't blame him for having such a busy schedule. Pride swelled within her so much it nearly crushed her ribs until she voiced it aloud.

"I'm super amazed by all your efforts to get the farm to where it is now." Her hazel gems sparkled. Enchanted, he found himself unable to look away while she carried on, "Warda had told me before about...what happened to your parents and how you took it upon yourself to take care of everything. I can't even imagine the journey you went through, and though I've only witnessed the fruits of your labor, I can't help but be proud of you." Her grin nearly blinded him. "You've done a marvelous job."

The gentle breeze carried the sweet fragrance of blooming flowers, it invaded his nostrils and wrapped around his erratic heart. Nasseem cleared his throat before he croaked a quiet, "Thank you."

As the day progressed, they found themselves near a tranquil pond. They sat together on a wooden dock, their legs dangling over the water's edge, mesmerized by the reflection of the setting sun on the glassy surface.

"This is the perfect spot for a picnic," Zahra sighed dreamily.

"Next time," Nasseem promised. "Next time, we'll do just that."

When he first invited her, he hadn't expected the tour to end up being this fulfilling. He hadn't expected them to enjoy each other's company and engage in heartfelt conversations.

On their way back, Zahra carried a basket filled with memories, her heart brimming with gratitude for the experience. Nasseem walked by her side, a newfound warmth in his soul, grateful for the opportunity to witness Zahra's joy and share in her excitement in what he'd grown to find mundane. 

On that beautiful, but very ordinary day, a bond was forged amidst the tranquility of nature's embrace.