Ruins of Despair

"Your Highness," a young boy huffed, running into the throne room. The boy held up a thick scroll.

"A message came for you," he said, stopping at the edge of the throne.

"From who?" Queen Junta said, raising her head to address the boy.

"The Scarlet Knight, am The Evergreen Mage." He handed the scroll over to her.

"I see," the queen sighed, breaking the seal.

Time passed as she read the scroll, and the whole room seemed to hold its breath. She set the scroll on her lap and looked at the room. She began to speak but hesitated.

"Is everything alright my queen?" the boy asked.

"Yes," Junta said, closing her eyes. "The girls have found the first stone, they shall return soon."

----------

Captain Grime paced the room, observing the guards who sat around circular tables.

"Attention!" he projected, his powerful voice ricocheting through the room.

The conversations stopped immediately, as everyone turned their attention to their captain. The man eyed the company sternly.

"As you know, thirteen years ago there was a failed assassination attempt on the king." The crowd grumbled. "And since then, he has grown weak. It won't be long until the kingdom follows suit, and when that happens, it will be our time to strike."

As the one-eyed man finished his statement, the crowd cheered.

"For too long," He spoke louder. " We have been treated as pawns, used only to ensure the prosperity of the royals, but no more!" He cheered. "No more will we die to keep the king alive through another day. No more will we live in squalor! We are warriors god dammit!" The company roared and cheered with their mugs.

Captain Grime attempted to settle the room, when a low-ranking soldier by the name of Percy, entered the room.

"Captain! Captain Grime!" he shouted, running over to the older man.

"What is it, soldier?" he groaned.

"The queen," he said through short breaths. "she received a message, the first stone has been found."

The room fell silent, as people whispered to each other, Grime's face darkened as he regarded the messenger.

"Do you know where they are now?" He grumbled,

"I think they were headed for Elnry." Percy huffed out.

Grime turned his back to the room, and grabbed his warhammer. He then moved between the tables, at the door, he turned back to the room and spoke.

"I will head for Elnry, and see if I can slow their progress enough."

Then he left the room, the large oak door slamming behind him.

-----------

The girls had expected the weather to continue to be disastrous as they travelled through the mountains, but the sky was calm and many animals crossed their path. it seemed as though the forest sensed the power Sasha carried and let life follow them. They passed under old-growth trees, and saw many seemingly ancient outcroppings.

"Whoah," Marcy gasped.

"What! What is it?" Sasha asked, looking around.

Marcy pulled on Joe's reins bringing him to a stop by a crumbling building. She hopped off the horse's back and walked over to the cracked stone.