Meetings

Jensoo, age 12, Grade 3 & 7

••••••••••

Jisoo got held back again another year while I moved forward.

When she found out, she cried in her bed and I was there to comfort her.

From all the self-defense classes she was taking and punching everyday, no one bullied her anymore.

Now she just existed in school. She tried but no one was ready to be her friend. 

So I decided to bring her around when Rosie and my new friend Lisa came over.

I bit my lip and looked at Rosie and Lisa who were discussing something beside me on the couch. My mom was standing in the kitchen looking a bit tense but otherwise was humming while making snacks for us.

Suddenly the doorbell rang and I jumped off the couch and ran to the front door.

Jisoo stood there with a smile and held up cookies. "My mom made them because she said I was going to meet your new friends!" She stepped inside and before I could lead her to them, she stepped forward and pressed a kiss to my forehead. My face went red and I looked at her.

She smiled and said, "I'm your best friend. Don't forget!" Then she skipped down the small hallway that led to the open kitchen with a small table separating it from the living room.

I stepped beside her and smiled awkwardly, "This is Jisoo....my best friend. I've known her since I was born." I felt my smile turn proud.

Rosie's face turned bright red. "Oh my gosh! She looks so pretty!"

I raised my eyebrows and looked at Jisoo. I never noticed it before but I guess Jisoo was pretty. She had an ovalish face, brown Asian eyes and her dark hair fell down her shoulders in loose waves while framing her face. She had beautiful, pink, heart-shaped lips that stretched her face as she smiled genuinely.

Jisoo chuckled beside me and pointed to the cookies. "Want some?"

Rosie and Lisa ran to the table and opened the box while Jisoo laughed gently. She picked a cookie and bit into it with a crumb sticking to her lips. I lifted my hand to wipe it away but she wiped it herself.

I didn't know why but I felt a bit disappointed I couldn't do it.

"You go to Jennie's school?"

Lisa nodded eagerly. "Yup...these cookies are delicious."

Jisoo smiled. "My mom made them."

Lisa hummed appreciatively.

I brought plates from a cabinet and we each took 2 cookies before sitting in the living room. I sat next to Jisoo on the floor with my back resting against the sofa and Lisa and Rosie. Jisoo pushed herself closer to me until she was pressed against my side and grinned at me before biting into her cookie.

Rosie held the remote up and asked, "So, Jisoo, what do you want to watch?"

Jisoo shrugged. "Lately, I've watched a lot of SpongeBob and Disney Channel."

I looked up at them while Jisoo was eating her cookie.

Rosie and Lisa gave her a questioning her look but didn't say anything as she said slowly, "I was thinking we could watch something different."

Jisoo shrugged and leaned her head on my shoulder. I just smiled and bit into my cookie.

We ended up watching an episode from a new teen show called "The Everglades". It was good and while it was rated TV-14, my mom was just working in her study.