N I R V A N A

Last chapter before I release Natasha Romanoff into the big wide world, bye bye S.H.I.E.L.D cell. I would really appreciate some input on what you want to see in the fan fiction. As always, enjoy!

"COME ON!" Maria was shocked.

"WHAT?" Natasha laughed.

"You seriously haven't heard of them?" she casually walked over to Nat, sitting down next to her.

"Nirvana? No" Natasha looked thoroughly confused.

"Wow" she elongated her word, her face was blank.

"Come on, they can't be that good. What are they anyway?" Natasha inquired, hating feeling like she was missing out.

"a band" Mari answered, a large grin plastered across her face.

"You're making a fuss over a band?" Natasha wanted to laugh, she thought they'd be some hardcore military group or something.

"I still can't believe you have absolutely no clue" Maria threw her hands into the air before crossing them under her arms securely.

"Masha, I was a child assassin. It's not a big surprise I missed out on the whole teen rebel phase" Natasha did the air quote signs for emphasis. "I bet you had a bad phase" she smirked at the American. Maria shook her head, pink flushing her cheeks, denying Natasha's insinuation. Nat saw right through her, Maria Hill had become readable by the Russian.

"Ok, that's a good enough excuse" Maria replied, Natasha was grateful that Maria was easy to talk to. She didn't make her feel more estranged than she already felt.

"Well, I've got to go. Guard duty ended twenty minutes ago" she sighed, standing up to leave.

"I don't think Fury minds." Natasha stated cooly, the room grew tense. Maria was confused, she raised her eyebrow. Natasha wanted to laugh at Maria's naivety, then again she knew Maria was extremely intelligent. There was no doubt about that. But she was still a soldier, in her mind, she hadn't learned or even wanted to question authority yet. But Natasha knew Maria would soon, Fury didn't like her for no reason.

"What?" Maria asked, her lip twitching slightly.

"Masha, you've stayed late on guard duty, like what, five times now? You've snuck me in sweets and even improved my living conditions" she pointed to the pillow on her bed that Maria had requested after Nat had complained about how awful the S.H.I.E.L.D beds were.

"What's your point?" Maria sighed.

"I don't know yet, but he's doing something. Do you think he let's all his agents run around free like you?"

"I'm not free" Maria quipped.

"You're freer than most"

Maria chose not to question it anymore, leaving it to settle. She knew that if Fury was planning something he had good reason. She simply stared into Natasha's eyes, green orbs meeting the frozen blue of Maria's. She knew she could get lost on that forest.

"Goodnight Romanoff" she sighed again, still making the effort to smile gently. People would wonder in years to come where Maria's smile went, the ice queen wasn't ready to make an appearance just yet. Natasha knew to drop the subject, Maria Hill had taught her the importance of boundaries. Nat wasn't going to over step, not now anyway.

"Night Masha" Natasha looked up at her, returning a soft smile. Laughing and smiling, as well as experiencing real joy was new to Natasha, she hoped that she would never lose it. Hill swiped her cared on the door, looking back at Natasha one last time before walking out. As soon as the door shut, Natasha felt alone again. The dread began to set in, the guilt screaming at her. She needed Maria back, to save her from her nightmares.