I

AURORA

God what a long day. You would think working at a busy cafe wouldn't be too hard of a job, but on the contrary, you couldn't be more wrong.

My asshole of a boss is constantly over my shoulder, double checking everything I do and my asshole coworkers can't seem to pull the twenty foot pole out of their ass any time soon.

I've been working there for two years and you'd think I'd be getting a pay raise sometime soon but my boss still refuses to give one to me...unless I sleep with him.

I want to quit soooo badly but I need the money and finding jobs in New York isn't something that comes easily.

I'm on my last hour and I couldn't wait to be more done.

I mindlessly tap the counter in front of me waiting to see a customer pop up at any minute when a man clears his throat in front of me. I'm startled by his eyes; deep green and gold swirls around his eyes, giving the most beautiful shade of hazel I've even seen.

"Oh..hi! What can I get started for you?" I ask politely.

"I'll have the turkey pesto sandwich on sourdough and also the bowl of broccoli cheddar soup," he rushes out like he's in a rush to be somewhere.

"Sure, I'll get that out as soon as possible." Who comes to a cafe and doesn't order coffee? Very strange.

He walks to the self serve bar across from my and grabs two cups of water before walking towards the dining room.

He walks over to a booth and sits down facing towards me with another man already there.

From what I can tell the other man has ridiculously strong back muscles since I can perfectly see them through the white dress shirt he's wearing. I can also see hints of black tattoos rising up his neck but I can't get a good picture from where I'm standing.

He has black hair like the man who just ordered and it's cropped but also long at the same time. Long enough to run your fingers through.

The man who just ordered catches me staring over there and shines a knowing smirk and leans in to talk to the man across the table. I look away embarrassed with red cheeks and thankfully another customer comes in saving me from having them both looking this way to catch me staring.

~~

I finally finished my shift and I plop down onto my living room couch with a thud. I turn on my TV without even noticing; it becoming second hand nature. I need to get my eyes checked at some point.

I look out the screen door from my living room and try to see if I can see a single spec outside but the glare from inside the house is too strong. I always hated the dark and my screen door not having any curtains is something I need to fix. Real soon.

My house sits right on the edge of a deep forest so if I did look outside and it was day, I'd see countless trees. I chose this neighborhood because each house is around a mile away from each other, promoting seclusion and privacy.

I turn my attention back to the TV and the ambience of the room shifts for some reason. I look left and right and even do a 360 of the living room just for good measure and when I see nothing I just blame it on my anxiety during the night.

I look to my left once more out the screen door and a sudden movement catches my eye far away where the forest begins. My eyes are just playing tricks I swear. Maybe I should book an appointment.

A large thud from outside my house that sounds like a car door slamming has me turning off the TV and lights, snatching my blanket and a bag of cool ranch Doritos and scurrying upstairs to my room. I hastily lock my door and hide under the covers as quickly as I can.

My breathing is steady as I try to hear another sound but everything seems to be quiet outside as of right now and I just shrug it off.

I open my window that overlooks the road back to civilization and I see the mailman shutting his door once again after driving off. I really need to take a chill pill. Dropping off mail at this hour? How strange.

~~

Thanks for reading!!!