If

Tiny, wistful prompt fill. Post S4.

***

"You looooove him," Tamara teases the next morning over another strange Pop Tart breakfast sandwich creation.

Lucy sighs, "Knock it off. I don't love him. What you saw yesterday was work. We were working."

"Uh huh," Tamara smirks.

"I have a boyfriend, in case you haven't noticed."

"Right. Tell me again why you didn't want to meet his parents. Or why he never stays over."

Lucy frowns.

"So when do Tim and Ashley leave for Hawaii?"

Lucy frowns harder.

"You could tell him how you feel, you know?"

"Tamara. Stop. I don't feel anything okay? We work together. He's my boss."

"Right... because no one has ever had feelings for a co-worker?"

Lucy frowns harder than she's ever frowned.

Because going down this path — wondering... if. It doesn't lead anywhere good.

So what if, on occasion, when he is droning on about some new procedure or paperwork, her mind wanders right along with her eyes to his lips? She definitely does not wonder what those lips might feel like under her fingers, against her skin, pressed against her own... if.

And so what if she no longer dreads the misery of night shifts like she used to because those are the times when they get to have their very best conversations — talking about anything and everything and never getting bored until the rising sun begins to color their world? She certainly does not wonder what nights they could spend together and sunrises they could watch together would be like... if.

And if, when they are in the same room together, it's his eyes she automatically seeks, his side she automatically gravitates to, his presence she automatically craves, so what? She absolutely does not wonder about what it would be like for him to be hers and for her to be his... if.

She obviously does not love him.