Nothing to Lose (Without You)

Tim struggles with not being able to be there for Lucy; Angela has some things to say to Tim post break-up. Set post 6x06.

Jeff Budney is dead.

When they walk Lucy into the station, it only takes one look at her face for Tim to realize how bad this is. This is going to destroy her. He knows her heart. Knows the reasons she chose this job. Knows how much she cares and how deeply she feels. Knows that every single question she has to answer, every action she has to justify and defend is going to break a little piece of her.

He doesn't hesitate, trailing the officers, IA, and the ADA as they lead her back to interrogation.

He's immediately stopped when he tries to enter. "I'm her companion officer," he snaps without hesitation as he pushes past the uniform.

"Officer Chen, you're allowed to talk in private with your companion officer. Would you like a few moments with Sergeant Bradford?"

Lucy shakes her head — she looks scared and overwhelmed, and Tim knows he can help her. They can get through this together. She glances toward him in confusion, barely meeting his eyes before shaking her head again, more vigorously this time.

"No... no. I — I want someone else."

"Lucy —" he tries, even as his stomach drops. Because she needs him. She's hurting. He can see how much. He can help her.

"I want someone else," she says more forcefully, cutting him off.

He's already being escorted from the room when he hears them asking who she would like her companion officer to be.

"Officer Nolan."

***

Tim paces the empty roll call room as Angela watches him from one of the seats.

"I just — I don't understand why she wouldn't let me help her."

Angela stares at Tim in disbelief. "Do you even hear yourself right now, Tim?"

He blinks in confusion, "What?" Then he rolls his eyes, "No — this isn't the same as the stuff with Ray, Angela. That didn't have anything to do with her."

"And what exactly does this have to do with you, Tim?"

He glares, because what kind of idiotic question is that?

"It's different," he reasserts through clenched teeth. "This isn't about our relationship. This is about her job and her career, and I've been through this. I know her. I know what this is going to do to her. She needs —"

"What does she need, Tim? You?"

And he's seriously regretting his decision to talk to Angela about this because she is being the opposite of helpful right now.

"She needs someone who's been through this. Someone who knows her and how she's gonna feel and react and what she needs to hear — I mean, come on, Nolan is supposed to help her get through this?" he scoffs. "She could have at least chosen Grey."

"She and Nolan are close." Angela shrugs.

"He doesn't know her like I do."

Angela purses her lips, "Uh huh, if you say so..."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Tim barks.

"Nothing... it's just ... they were at the Academy together, Rookies together, together together... I'd say he knows her pretty well. You don't have the market cornered on caring about Lucy, you know?"