001. dwight style

chapter one dwight style

chapter one
dwight style

Madelyn Riley stood in her bedroom, smoothing down the black dress she was wearing for her father's funeral

Madelyn Riley stood in her bedroom, smoothing down the black dress she was wearing for her father's funeral. It was a simple black dress, one that Dewey himself had complimented when Madelyn was going to wear it a few weeks ago for one reason or another. She was surrounded by boxes, having to box her entire home up and move in with Nick until the end of school in ten months' time.

Madelyn walked out of her bedroom, that was one of the first things to be packed up. She found her room the easiest to clean because the only memories in it were her own memories – like falling off her bed recreating Taylor Swift's Reputation Tour choreography – memories that were personal to her and had no one else in.

Nick had packed up the kitchen as it was the only place that had no sentimental value, except some cups and stuff that he knew Madelyn wanted to keep. Madelyn had managed, after a few break downs, to also clean her father's bedroom and now it was only the living room to finished being packed up.

It was the hardest room to do considering it was where Madelyn and Dewey and any other guests in the small trailer spent their time. It was also where they kept absolutely everything. Madelyn sat on the sofa in the living room, pulling a box towards her.

Inside the box was a photo book, a video camera and a box of tapes. Madelyn furrowed her eyebrows, taking the box of tapes out and looking at the names on them. They didn't have names, simply years. Madelyn took one from 2004, the year she was born. She placed it in the tape player that was connected to the television, sitting back to watch whatever was about to be played.

The camera clicked on revealing a smiling Dewey, a large smile on his face. He was slightly sweaty and had clearly been stressed only moments before.

"After being sworn at for the last four hours and nine months of stress, we can now add Madelyn Tatum Riley to our family." Dewey told the camera, bringing it over to where Gale led in the hospital bed, a baby in her arms.

"Dewey won the argument so we're not double barrelling her last name." Gale let out a sigh, although the smile on her face suggested that she truly didn't care.