Another Lie || CL16

Summary: After breaking up, your relationship with Charles turns toxic with neither one really letting go.

Warnings: Angst, smut, drug and alcohol use, unhealthy relationship, happy ending

Word Count:  10k

The club in the casino was at its busiest hour but you no longer saw all the people beneath the strobe lights or even heard the quick beats of the bass that could have been your heartbeat. Your focus was on the single tattoo you had spotted on the man leaving the VIP area where you were partying the night away.

How many people had a Ferrari-red Guido tattooed on their bicep?

You scanned the crowd again and spotted the man making his way to the exit. There was no doubt with his dark hair and short beard that it was Charles' mechanic, Alessandro. You could only hope he didn't recognise you from all the time you had spent in their garage.

You weren't going to let thoughts of the team, and particularly their driver, ruin your night as you shaped another line of powder with your credit card and let it clear your mind.

You felt his entrance like an earthquake, invisible and dangerous. The moment he stepped into the nightclub a tremor rolled through the crowd and your eyes found the epicentre making his way to the VIP area.

You swallowed another shot as his shape came into focus and you licked the drop of alcohol on your lips as you found your voice. You were conscious of the coke coursing through your body and forced yourself to speak slowly as you tried to hide the evidence. "You're meant to be in Italy."

"Race was cancelled, don't you read the news?" he bit back sharply, making you roll your eyes.

"If you're here to be an asshole you can just fuck off."

He bent down, his hand gripping the back of your chair as he blocked out the crowd behind him. With his face mere inches away from yours you were struck by the way his eyes caught the laser lights that danced around the room, and the scent of his cologne on his neck.

"What the fuck?" His hand caught your chin and tipped your head back so you were staring directly at the lights on the ceiling and he growled in the back of his throat. "Again?"

"You're meant to be in Italy," you reiterated.

"Then who were you planning to take care of you, huh?" he shoved your head away before standing at his full height and snapping his fingers. "We're going."

"I'm not yours anymore, Charles, you can't order me around."

His perfect white teeth glinted with his dark smile and he tugged you to your feet so quickly that you crashed into his chest where he held you tightly. "You'll always be mine, even when you're not."

He grabbed your clutch from the table and picked up your credit card that was beside it, wiping off the white powder that cling to the edge. "You promised me no more."

"And you promised me forever. Guess we both lied."

The car ride was slow as Charles navigated the narrow streets of Monaco on a busy Saturday night. You didn't want to go slow.

The purr of the engine reminded you of the long drives he would take you on along the coast, freeing the Pista from her urban cage and screaming down the winding highways.

"I don't want to go home."

Charles looked away from the road to see you staring longingly at the mountains beyond the city. "Where do you want to go?"

Your forehead rested on the cold glass and you moaned quietly at the refreshing touch on your burning skin. "Anywhere but there."

Charles reached over and grazed his knuckles over your cheek to feel the heat radiating from them and sighed. Turning sharply, he gave into your request and drove away from your apartment, instead taking you to his new one - the one he had purchased after moving out.