It started with a... || CarLandOscar

Summary: Whoever thought love was limited to one person was an idiot. Love had no limits and you knew that better than most when a rookie found himself carving out a third of your heart.
Warnings: established relationships, fluff, angst, pining.
WC: 7.5k

It started with a smile. It was stiff and polite and made you pity the Rookie who was being introduced to everyone so fast he would surely forget their names.

"It took me a few months, but you'll figure out who is who," you encouraged him as the welcome committee went back to work in the factory and Oscar looked for guidance on where he was meant to go next.

"I hope so. I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name," he admitted sheepishly. "Are you in the PR team?"

You looked down at your black skirt and white blouse and thought you probably did look like someone from PR or legal. "Contrary to belief, I am actually what people would call a PR nightmare," you said as you held your hand out. "Y/N Y/L/N, Lando's girlfriend."

"It's nice to meet you. I suppose I'll see you around here a lot then."

You smiled ruefully and shook your head. "I'm studying at Royal Holloway but we wanted to be here for your first day so we stopped by."

You looked around for Lando and found him returning from the cafeteria with a takeaway coffee cup in his hand. "I wondered where you went," you teased as you happily accepted the hot drink and the kiss he placed on your cheek.

"Figured you needed this, love. I kept you up pretty late for a school night." Lando nudged Oscar and winked.

The Australian's ears turned pink and you rolled your eyes at your boyfriend's humour. "He was steaming until some ridiculous hour this morning. You'll probably find him crashed out on a couch somewhere this afternoon while I will be struggling through lab tech."

"You're the smartest person I know, I don't think you even need to go to class." Lando tipped your chin back, giving you a deep kiss without care that his new teammate was watching the interaction. "We should go, love, don't want to make you late again. You want to come for a ride too?"

"Shouldn't I go inside?" Oscar asked as he looked to the double doors that led into the employee only section.

"They want us to do a few icebreaker promo vids to get to know each other so you'll just be waiting around for me to get back anyway."

"You should probably get used to that, he likes to keep people waiting," you joked.

"When have I ever kept you waiting?"

"I'm still waiting for a win."

Lando chuckled and playfully swatted your ass. "I'm working on that. Hard."

You cupped his cheek and ran the pad of your thumb over his pouting bottom lip. "I know you are, baby, and it's gonna come."

Oscar cleared his throat and jutted a thumb over his shoulder. "I can just go wait inside."

"Nah, come on," Lando said as he grabbed his keys from his pockets. "You should see where her classes are in case there's an emergency."

You frowned in confusion. "An emergency?"

"Yeah, like if I'm running late." Lando draped an arm over your shoulder and led the way to the handful of reserved parking spots near the front door. "It's only 15 minutes down the road."

Lando opened the passenger door to his Range Rover and you glanced at Oscar who just smiled and opened the back door. "I'm okay back here," he said as he climbed in. You settled into your usual seat but adjusted it to give Oscar's longer legs some extra room.