The Bucket List || CL16

Pairing: Charles Leclerc x fem!reader
Summary: Life changes in the blink of an eye with a diagnosis and you are forced to face your mortality with the help of Charles
Warnings: 18+ only, nsfw, implied smut, grief, implied character death. This has made me cry so hard 😭😭😭
WC: 5.8k

The winter break was meant to be a time for Charles to relax but one simple act had put an end to those plans. It had been a little joke between lovers while you were getting dressed. Charles had seen an opportunity and taken it, cradling the swell of your breast in his palm and giving it a quick squeeze.

"Honk, honk!"

You gasped at the sudden pain that flared and rubbed at the aching area. Charles was immediately sorry, apologising profusely as he brushed your hand aside and massaged it gently for you.

"It's ok, Cha, this one's been a bit tender lately."

"What do you mean?" His concern was palpable and his hand flattened so the palm was pressing into your flesh. You couldn't hide the wince at the spot he touched and he couldn't hide the fear in his eyes.

"What?!" You stepped away and grabbed your breast, almost immediately feeling what he felt as your heart began to hammer hard in your chest. "It's probably nothing, boobs are lumpy all the time."

"Yeah..." he murmured distractedly. "We should probably check just to be sure. Right?"

You tried to nod casually but it was too hurried. "I mean, just to be sure."

Everything moved quickly after that. The exhaustion was no longer just jet lag. The low red blood count was no longer just anaemia. The lump was no longer just fatty tissue.

"What happens now?"

You looked at your boyfriend, but his eyes were fixed on the doctor who had been explaining the test results. Charles had done all of the talking while you sat in a state of shock. You didn't even feel like you were inside your own body but floating somewhere in the room and watching from outside.

"We could take a biopsy to be certain but the tests so far are conclusive and I wouldn't recommend waiting. We could fit you in to remove the tumour in the next couple of days and have you home for Christmas."

You knew this already. He had spoken about removing the lump. You couldn't bring yourself to call it a tumour because, benign or malignant, it made it too real. Removing the lump was the extreme simplification of what he really meant. Mastectomy. Double to be precise. The risk was too great to leave the other breast untreated, apparently.

"We'll take the surgery, as soon as possible."

You blinked at Charles, waiting to see if he would even look in your direction before making such a decision but his chin was resting on the tip of his steepled fingers. He leaned forwards, digging his elbows into his knees as he always did when he was deep in thought.

"No," you rasped. "I can't do it."

"Yes, you can," Charles replied without even looking at you. He had hardly looked your way since the first appointment a week ago.

"I'll give you two some time to talk," Doctor Hall said softly as he rose from his chair and left the room, the click of the door closing too loud in the heavy silence.

"It's my body, Charles," you whispered, your throat too hoarse to manage anything louder.

"I know that, but this is your life we are talking about."

"We don't even know for certain that it's...that it's..."

"It's cancer," he said with a sigh, "not saying it doesn't change the test results."