Chapter One

"Excuse me."

A voice rang through the crowd, cutting through the silence. "What's going on?" A man shouldered to the front of the panicked crowd, who all watched him with wide eyes and heavy hearts. "Oh my..." He said, looking down, horrified at the sight before him.

A young man, in his early twenties, was dead, on the plaza street. He had blonde hair, and blank dead blue eyes stared out at the world. His mouth was slightly open, as though he was surprised at the time he died. The strange man checked the victim's pulse, finding none. He sighed heavily. He checked the coat pocket, and found a wallet, compact and stylish. As he opened it, the snap of the wallet making a considerably loud sound, a card slipped out. The man quickly picked it up, turning it. A credit card. It appeared, Jacques de Fleur, as said on his Visa, was dead.

The crowd watched him, still. "C-can you help him?" A shaky voice made the man turn. It was a small boy, barely looking to be about ten years old, with big eyes and a scared expression. The man sighed. "Unfortunately, I can't bring back the dead. I'm Detective Malvent. I'm from England, so don't mind my poor French." He stated quickly, looking out towards the Parisian cityscape. The boy shook his head. "Your French isn't bad, it's just a bit...off. I'm Jean."

Detective Malvent gave the boy a small smile, before focusing yet again on the corpse. Jacques had been sprawled across the street, as though he'd been pushed. Yet no high buildings were close enough for him to fall here. His blood dropped into the cracks of the cobbled street. Yet who murdered him? It could've been any of the blank faces in the crowd. Maybe that woman who shifted her gaze a bit too quickly? Or that man who stood there with a solemn expression that looked too solemn?

He looked back at de Fleur's corpse. His wind blown blonde hair and blue eyes that no doubt had shined once were now nothing more than dead azure orbs. His features were unnaturally light, like an angel.

Malvent's suspicions grew bit by bit. Tensions were high between the creatures. Perhaps...but no. He would need to confirm it later. If his hunch was correct though...

His thoughts were interrupted as another figure pushed through the crowd. It was a woman, with an elegant figure and a stately walk. She had her hands on her hips, her expression scrutinizing. She had a heart shaped face. smooth pearly skin, and light blue eyes. Her eyes were done up, though she seemed to be wearing minimal makeup, but everyone drew their breath in as they saw her.

She was abnormally beautiful. Her coat was long, and it was definitely high quality. Malvent drew the conclusion of a possibility of her being an aristocrat.

The strange woman's eyes widened, in what looked like surprise. "Leo?" Her voice rang with recognition, and Malvent blinked. How did she know his name? "What is your full name, miss?" He asked politely. She smiled, the moment of flitting surprise gone. "I am Elisabeth Von Marketh. And you are Leo Ciccone Malvent." Jean snickered, and Malvent glared at him. "Sorry, but...Ciccone?" The small kid straightened. "I'll go call the police." He said quickly.

Leo watched Jean push through the crowd and the strange woman shook out her hair. "Oh yes. It was strange to see you. But," She continued, eyeing him over. "a pleasure indeed. I'm here to see the dearly departed." Leo stepped back, and Elisabeth stepped forward, leaning to look closer. "Jacques de Fleur. May your soul be granted new life." She said, her fingers barely resting in the victim's forehead.

Malvent watched with raised eyebrows. She wouldn't dare...not in front of humans.

"Don't fret dear." She waved a finger, successfully freezing the humans, or at least slowing their time to a lowly hour per second.