Chapter Two

Leo blinked as the cold water splashed over his head. He opened his eyes widely as he shook out the icy water, droplets flying. He turned his cold green eyes in the direction of the person who had thrown the water at him.

Red stood there, grinning smugly. Leo glanced around grumpily. "What do you want, you crazed sadistic villain?" Red rolled her eyes. "Don't be a drama queen Leo. Besides..." She said, slyly glancing towards the bar counter. Leo immediately grew suspicious. Red was a friend, an ally. Even so, he couldn't help but feel suspicious around her. Leo glanced around. "Who've you hired to poison me now?" He asked, his tone sarcastic, but his eyes casually darting around the pub. Red examined her nails. "No one. If anything, I helped you gain power and wealth, and saved your source of revenue." She scoffed, reaching down to scratch Ryn behind the ears. The large pup let out an amiable bark.

Leo smirked. "Revenue? Finally been reading the old geezer's books, eh?" Red rolled her eyes, almost seeming offended. "A friend told me how popular Charles Dickens was these days. He gave me his book collection for free." She said bluntly. Leo raised his eyebrows. "Really? You didn't happen to borrow them, did you?" Red rolled her eyes. "Shut up. It was. . .a favor." She said, sliding a note to him. "This was left for you." She turned on her heel, not waiting to see his reaction, and walked back over to the pub counter, Ryn following at her heels.

Leo turned to the note. Whoever wrote it had been in a hurry. He could tell by the rough lines of the drying out pen, sometimes fading in curves or lines. It was scrawled close together on a large neon yellow Post-It. Leo's green eyes skimmed over it quickly.

To whom it may concern,

The High Council has been informed of an information breach. We've tracked it down to you, Mr. Malvent. Your previous status has been noted, and your current profession as well. We would like to hire you, as much as we'd prefer not to. You will go to New Haven Inn at 1 o'clock sharp,then tell the innkeeper you wish to pay your respects to the Angelic infuences in the world. She will lead you to the third room to your left, in which you will find a spare bed, a dresser, and an antique boudoir. You shall remain there until an Angelic official comes to receive you.

With hope of your reverting to our ways,

The High Council of Angels,

Leo quickly folded up the note neatly. He turned the request over in his head.There were many incentives if working with Angels, not limited to their blessings, gifts, and good graces. However, there were many more disadvantages. The Angels were only one form of Monster, if a powerful one. And all other Monsters had either been created, originated, or had their origins linked with Angels in some way. None of them were happy about that.

Leo was pulled out of his thoughts as a burly man with a shady expression and a seemingly permanent smirk walked over, stopping and sitting down at the table. "Can I help you?" Leo asked, eyeing the stranger over warily. The man merely chuckled. "Maybe Leo. Quit the games. My name, you must have heard of. I'm Shadow." Leo shook his head, feigning confusion. "I'm sorry, but I have no idea who you are." Shadow's smirk disappeared.

Truth be told, Leo did know. Shadow was a known Higher Demon, and a powerful one. They said he'd battled with the legendary Lucifer once, and won. That sort of Demon was a being to be afraid of. And Leo didn't get scared easily.

"I'm Shadow, a legendary higher Demon.I've battled with Lucifer and won." He said shortly, summarizing his reputation well. "Indeed. What can I do for you?" Leo responded coolly, no change in his impassive expression. Shadow leaned forwards. He wore a large black biker jacket, and had one silver lip piercing. His eyes were in some parts black, in others melding to dark grey. But most of all they were gold. They looked to be full of shadows, reminding Leo of his namesake. He propped his head up on his hand, which had a strange and nasty scar running across it. "I know the Angels have contacted you. Makes you wonder what those hoity-toity pompous buffoons have on their hands that would make them desperate enough to call a Fallen onto the scene."