006. storms in his eyes

DANIEL'S POV

"I think we should talk"

You heard a quiet whisper. Isla's right, it's time for a serious conversation. But you kind of don't want to leave this room. You're not sure how long you've been sitting on the edge of the bed watching sleeping twins. It's crazy how much you care about them already and it's just the first time you see them. This whole day was one of the absolute best ever. Watching them playing, giggling, talking with you. You already changed your phone wallpaper to picture of girls. 

Walking out of the room was hard and you couldn't help but turn around and look at those angels once again. It's not possible to describe this feeling. At first you were shocked but then you met them and everything changed. You would do anything for them and now you're going to do anything to spend as much time with them as possible. 

The woman sat on the couch as soon as she walked into the living room. There were still children's toys on the floor. Two plastic cups with Disney princesses on it were left on the coffee table with a half-empty bag of Cheetos next to them. The whole room was a huge mess but he wouldn't want it any other way. Every little scrap of girls' presence was a blessing. He took a seat not too close to Isla and looked at her with a shade of insecurity in his eye. 

"Daniel.. I don't even know where to start. I was so stubborn and so stupid. Everyone had been telling me to contact you but I refused. Pride's such a stupid thing. But what I've seen today made me realise that I wasn't punishing myself only. I hurt you, and what's even worse I hurt my own daughters. Seeing you today playing with them, laughing with them.. You're a natural. You're the best father girls' would wish for. And I'm, once again, so sorry that I've deprived you of knowing them up until this day. I would've changed my decisions if only I could. But girls and I want you in their lives."

Ricciardo's eyes were glued to his intertwined fingers but he noticed her shaky voice. His knees were trembling and he was certain that she could hear his heartbeat. He wanted to yell at her and make sure she understands that she's ruined his life. In his head, he's spilling out of this all regret and betrayal. But in reality he couldn't even look at her, afraid of seeing her tears. 

"I believe that you had your reasons. I don't have to understand them but I'd like to cut this topic off. I'm here for my kids, I want to get to know them better. I want to show them my world and I want them to be a huge part of it. And when it comes to us.. Um, I don't really know."

"I get it. We don't have to be friends, but we have to be parents. I thought it through and I think it's best if we sign some kind of settlement. Your lawyer could contact mine and we'll have our terms written down."

Isla's idea was good, so he nodded. He had a feeling that he could trust her, but after her keeping girls in secret, he probably shouldn't be so sure. They were both tired and probably should head to bed but neither of them moved. They were just sitting still in silence that she decided to break.

"If you'll ever feel overwhelmed by girls, I.."

"What?"

He heard her well, just decided to give her a chance to think about her words. The visible confusion on her face was enough for him to stand up. He felt offended by her assumptions. 

"You're not assuming that I'll get bored with being a father, are you?"

"It's not what I said, Daniel"

"But it went through your head and it's enough for me! I've spent one day with them and it was enough to realise that I'd die for them and you as their mother should understand this. Think about it, I'll come back in the morning to see my daughters" 

How could she? He was doing his best for her to see how great of a father he could be. He sent her one last look full of lightnings and walked out of her house.