(10) My Mar

Mar'uay18~19ish

Mar'uay
18~19ish

༺༻

Tyane didn't know how long she's been running until she found herself in front of Mar'uay's family tent. He was playing with his sisters carrying them and mimicking Ikran.

their mother was making dinner, laughing at her kid's silliness.
when Mar'uay stumbled and fell but turned to take the fall instead of his sister and they burst into laughter.

Tyane couldn't help the laugh that escaped her as their mother scolded the three of them barely containing her own smile, She slapped a hand over her mouth.

"What in Eywa's name? Ty?" Tyane peaked her head through the opened tent flaps.

"Well? What do you think you're doing just standing out there?" Mar'uay's mother, Mahk'ai, enquired hands on her hips.

That was a great question what did she think she was doing here "I-" Before she could get a word out Mahk'ai grabbed her arm and pulled her in and forced her to sit down.

"Sit. Dinner will be ready in 10 minutes. Lucky for you, I'm making your favourite" Mahk'ai's ordered.

Tyane opened her mouth to object but one look from the woman had her shutting her mouth.

"You know" Mar'uay started "Pretty sure my mother likes you more than me"

Tyane turned to her friend and ruffled his hair "Everyone loves me, babe." she pinched his cheek "but don't worry you're a close second"

"Aww, I'm not your favourite?" he put a hand over his heart "Now that hurt" he shook his head pursing his lips feigning disappointment.

"Tell you a secret?" She leaned to whisper in his ear "You'll always be my favourite" She put a finger in front of her mouth jokingly then got up to help Mahk'ai with the food.

~~~

When Tyane'nor was young and Neteyam was just born. All her parents cared about was him, which is expected since he was just a baby and required way more attention than her, and she was grown up, she was... Three.

One day Little Tyane was bored because both of her parents were busy and neither of them wanted to play with her.

She remembers having this one repeated thought
None would notice if I left.
they don't care.

Eventually, after a few months of being treated as invisible by her parents, unless they were telling her to be quiet to not wake up the baby.

She decided she will find someone else to play with her, She took her toy Ikran not caring that was her brother's favourite. It was hers first. and she started her search for a new friend.

~~~
Now

"Mar!" Tyane yelled suddenly.

"Great Mother! What?!" He yelled back.

"You know the actual least you could do after your mother prepared the whole dinner by herself is to get off your ass and help set the table," she said with as much sass as she came to muster.

"Eywa, Ty. You could've just said that" He countered. and started walking to help his mother

Tyane set down the plate in her hand and put her hand on her hip "And you wonder why you're not her favorite"

The sisters laughed at that, loudly. Making Tyane smile.

"Now, now kids," Mahk'ai said smiling and putting a hand on her son's shoulder and the other on Tyane's "I love you both" She looked between them "equally"

~~~

Not long after little Tyane left her home, Toy Ikran in hand. She found herself away from the village surrounded by trees with no idea how she got there or where to go next.

unlike any normal child who would just cry. Baby Tyane'nor was determined to make a new friend, so she hugged the toy to her chest and started walking.

after some time Tyane heard someone crying. she followed the sound quietly and found a little boy crying on a rock.

"Hello," Tyane said gingerly from behind him, The little boy jumped and looked at her with wide eyes.
"Are you okay?"

the little boy only sniffled in response. She sat next to him and put a hand on his shoulder as she saw her grandma do before to sad people. the boy looked at her with surprise in his eyes but stopped crying and Tyane smiled.
"I'm Tyane'nor but they call me Tyane, what's your name?"

"Mar'uay" He answered her quietly.

"What makes you sad, Mal'uay?" She asked.

the little boy frowned "Why do you shay my name like that?" his frown deepened and he looked to the ground.

Tyane didn't notice she was already thinking how to explain it to him. "well..." she started "Momma sayss that it's becauss I don't have all my teess yet" she completed with a smile on her face.

Mar'uay's eyes widened "Really!" he looked at her like she was upside down "You're not sad?"

The girl shook her head and said proudly "mamá sayss that when I get them all I will have bettel sshmile than everyone who already hass thsem"

That seemed to give the boy hope as a smile spread "Can I have a bettel sshmile than thsem too?"

"YESH!" The little girl clapped in excitement beaming from ear to ear "We can have the besht sshmile together!"

"You'le leally nice. can you pleasse be my friend?" Baby Mar'uay asked seemingly worried about getting rejected.

"YESH!" Out of excitement, baby Tyane'nor threw herself at baby Mar'uay in a bone-crushing hug.

Both of the children were rolling on the ground laughing and hugging each other.
"I have a cool idea!" Baby Tyane said shaking baby Mar'uay's shoulder "Let'sh make up namess only we call each othser"

"YESH. YESH. I'LL CALL YOU... hmm... I KNOW. I'LL CALL YOU "Ty", becauss everyone callsh you Tyane. I'll be special" the little boy had the biggest smile on his face.

Tyane laughed then a light bulb lit over her head "I KNOW. I KNOW. You'll be My "Mar". and only I will call you that. deal?"

the way the little girl made the last part sound like a threat made him laugh and shake her hands.

And they stuck to it ever since...

~~~

1/6/2023

(I'm posting two chapters this time because i wouldn't be able to post the other one on time)

young Mar'uay