(23) Best if you leave...

"I see I am not needed here." A voice cut through the air

Tyane and her mother broke apart looked toward it only to find that Ronal had already turned around and ready to leave

"You are Tsahik!" Neytiri hissed

Ronal looked with distaste at the the machine attached to Kiris awfully still figure "Remove these things!" she ordered.

Jake helped max and norm gather their stuff as they scurried out of the way

Tyane moved closer to her youngest sister that she didn't even notice was there when she first entered.

Little Tuk was rocking back and forth attempt to comfort herself hugging Kiri's hand tightly to her chest and the moment her oldest sister settled beside her, she looked up at her with teary eyes

"where were you?" the little girl sniffled "we needed you"

Tyane bit her tongue hard enough that she tasted the coppery tang of blood "I'm sorry Tuk" she apologized sincerely "I came as soon as i found out"

"Not soon enough!" Tuk yelled, her little voice breaking at the end.

Tyane flinched.

Ronal cleared her throat "I think it's best if you leave"

She knew Ronal hadn't intended it but the words hit her like a punch to the gut

Best if you leave because they don't need you anymore.

Best if you leave because when they needed you you weren't there.

Best if you leave because when they needed you you were playing outside the reef.

Best if you leave because when Kiri had a seizure underwater you were nowhere to be found.

Best if you leave because even little Tuk blame you for all of it.

Tyane swallowed "I'm sorry, Tuk" and walked away.

~~~

Mar'uay got up from where he was sitting next to the sully brothers as he saw his friend walk out of the tent thing with her head down instead of high up and shoulders slumped instead of squared back.

"Ty, wait!" He called. she ignored him. headed towards a cluster of trees.

he caught up with her and stepped in her way when she tried to side step him, he mirrored her.

"what's wrong, Ty? Talk to me" He held her shoulders and waited until she looked up at him.

She glanced back to the direction she just came from and sighed "keep an eye on them for me"

Her voice was quiet. that is never a good sign with her.

~~~

Her head spun. her vision darkened around the edges. even voices sounded distant. muted.

Mar was saying something she couldn't bring herself to comprehend.

The world spun faster as a cold feeling gripped her heart making it increasingly difficult to draw air and her ears started ringing faintly.

She felt a something settle on her lower back. she focused on that.

from her preiphral she saw a flash of teal. Nhell.

but isn't he on hunting duty? how come he's here now? she didn't feel like it's been that long? Right? Is Kiri awake yet? Is she okay? Great Mother, it's been so long since she spent time with her younger sister. Or Tuk. Or Neteyam. or her mother. or anyone at all. she always came back from training too drained for anything. she barely ate dinner and would go straight to sleep after if she didn'thavemore training. Could they possibly forgive her? She wouldn't be suprised if they didn't. she wouldn't blame them either. What kind of sister did that. Tuk is right: she wasn't there when they needed her, she wasn't there soon enough, Kiri could've drowned and she wasn't there to save her or stop it for happening altogether. If it weren't for Neteyam she could've- Dear Eywa, Kiri would've-

A sharp sting across her cheek brought her out of her thoughts.

She blinked in attempt to bring her vision back her vision back into focus.

High cheek bones.

Full Lips.

Half-Tattooed face.

and piercing green eyes were the first things she saw.

"If you can hear me nod or i will slap you again" Kaltuk warned.

She nodded.

"Good girl" he sighed, seemingly in relief. "now, close your eyes and breath with me. focus on my hand"

he placed a hand on her cheek.

she felt her cheeks heat up in embarassement, he was showing her how to breathe. how pathetic she must seem.

but he didn't seem to mind as he held her gaze steadily. his thump tracing her cheekbone as his other hand rested on her knee.

They werent in the village anymore. they were sitting knee to knee on the ground in their clearing. she didn't remember seeing him let alone coming here with him.

A sharp pain shot up her thigh.

"Ow!" She yelped "did you just pinch me?!"

"Sorry, i thought i was losing you again"

He didn't seem sorry in the least.

Tyane pursed her lips, silently glaring at him.

"Ow!" He jumped, not expecting it "What was that for?!"

"You pinched me first!"

He narrowed his eyes and pinched her cheek by consequence pulling her toward him. bringing them inches apart.

being who she is, she turned her head and bit his wrist with all her might. hoping it hurts him enough to let her go.

He bit her neck.

and with just as much strength.

seeming to realize what happened. they both froze.

~~~
12/8/2023