Chapter 3

Kou sighed. That time of day to clean the photography club room that somehow got dirty all the time. It was something he would never let go of. How did it become so dirty? It wasn't like Himari was stuck in the bathroom or something. It was a club room. If it was a bathroom, that was understandable.

Unless Himari wanted Kou's company. He found it ever so slightly cute that Himari would want to spend time with him rather than the other mysteries.

Still, Himari's way of having Kou pay for summoning was odd. Why did he even have to have it? Was it just Himari's way of saying he was lonely? That would make more sense.

What was he thinking? Why did he find it cute? He didn't like Himari that way. Himari was just odd in general. Kou didn't know how to explain who he was perfectly other than he likes to tease people.

A loud crash happened which broke Kou's thoughts. Kou turned to look at the door to see who it was or what it was. In the doorway, a girl walked into the room with an umbrella.

Kou was confused. He didn't know her, but he also had a feeling that he knew her from somewhere, but didn't know where.

"Who are you?" Kou asked.

"Yashiro Nene in my first year of the high school division and I'm here to exorcise Himari-san!"

Once he looked over at her again, he then recognized who she was. She was the one who ran into him a week ago. He couldn't mistake her ankles. Well, it wasn't her only defining feature, but it was the one he mostly knew since she ran off so quickly.

"Oh please, I'd like to see you try, Daikon," Himari said. Kou lightly smacked Himari on the back.

"Oh, Himari, be nicer for once."

"Fine. It would be nice if you could try to exorcise me."

Kou sighed. He knew it was the best he'd get for now. It was better, but it was also not at the same time.

Himari walked up to Nene and put his hand on her shoulder. It was a stupid idea because Kou could literally see an opening for her to use something to exorcise Himari.

"Look Daikon, I know you want to exorcise me, but that will never happen because I won't allow it," Himari said. His hand was still on Nene's shoulder.

"Himari, do you know her?" Kou asked. She could see Himari, which meant they should know each other, right?

"Nope, not a clue," Himari said.

"He's still an evil spirit that needs to be destroyed."

Kou shook his head. He didn't know how to respond, but he had to say something instead of standing there like a bump on a log.

"It's time for you to return to the far shore," Nene said. She took the opportunity to open the umbrella to reveal a staff. The staff had a surge of lightning and Himari fell to the ground. At least he wasn't dead for a second time. As a result Kou got in front of Himari to make sure Nene didn't exorcise Himari.

"What are you doing? Get out of the way before you're hurt!" Nene said. She stumbled back so she didn't hurt Kou. It was a tight room, so there weren't a lot of places to go, especially since there was a table in the middle of the room.

"I'm Minamoto Kou, Himari's friend and assistant. I won't let you exorcise him."

"But he's an evil supernatural! You may think he's good because he has told you nothing of his past!"

Kou thought about what she said. He knew nothing about Himari's past.p, yet he still claimed Himari was good. Maybe he wasn't good when he was alive, but Kou could tell he was trying to make changes to be better.

"You've got it wrong, miss, I get you need to get rid of him, but he's not bad. He has done nothing evil. Yeah, he teases people but it's not that bad to where he needs to be exorcised," Kou said to remove Nene's thoughts on Himari. Himari wasn't that bad, all he did was tease people a lot.

"No, you're wrong! He killed someone before. You think he's good after that?"

What? How did Nene know more about Himari than he did? Kou shook his head. It could just be a false rumor she heard it from. Besides, how did Himari even kill someone?

Kou felt an icy feeling on his back. It had to be Himari. It couldn't be another supernatural. That made no sense. Why would any other supernatural touch his back?

"Well, I guess the daikon let my secret out," Himari said. He backed away from Kou and looked out the window. Such a pretty view.

"I have a job here to do, so I won't let you exorcise me yet, I guess. I think it would be cool though."

Kou facepalmed. Why did Himari say that to Nene? Was that his attempt at convincing her to not exorcise him? Kou found his convincing stupid, so he made a mental note for him to do the talking next time.

"If you think disappearing is cool, then let me do it," Nene said. Kou backed away to the door, watching Nene and Himari run around the room. Himari grabbed a hold of the staff.

While Nene wasn't looking, Himari put a seal on it. Nene saw the seal and panicked. While panicking she said, "Aoi-chan is not going to be happy with this."

Kou looked over at Nene. He noticed her hand was injured. Was it from the staff? How did she hurt herself with the staff? "Miss, your hand is injured. You should get it cleaned before it's infected."

"Maybe learn to control your staff before trying to exorcise one of the school mysteries. You know, just a suggestion," Himari said.

"I won't exorcise you for now, but I will keep my eye on you. Just you wait, Himari," Nene said. Himari and Kou facepalmed. Soon enough, Nene left the room.

"Well, that was weird," Kou said.

"No kidding. It's not every day a wannabe exorcist who's a daikon comes in."

Kou sighed again. Why couldn't Himari be a little nicer? Nene could be insecure about her ankles. If she was, Himari could have made her feel worse about it.

"It's not every day you learn your friend murdered someone," Kou mumbled in addition to Himari's statement.

Kou knew soon enough Himari would tell him or trust Kou enough to tell him. Only time can tell when he'd tell Kou.