Chapter 4

"Have you heard of No. 2, The Shijima Stairs?" Yokoo asked Kou. Why has Kou never heard of the rumors until recently? They've been around for a while, yet he only heard about them on a short notice.

"No."

"Well, they say you mustn't step on the fourth step of the staircase by the art room. If you do that, you'll get taken to the other side and your body will be torn to thousands of pieces. At twilight, the victims' blood drips onto the step. It was also said that a student who loved art died on this stairwell."

Kou made a face. Why were rumors like that being spread? He sighed. The one thing he wouldn't miss when he left the school would be the weird rumors that somehow became true.

"Yokoo, don't be silly. They aren't true," Satou said. Yokoo turned to look at Satou.

"You never know. Kou, what do you think?"

Kou went back into his thoughts. What was that all about yesterday? Did Himari kill someone? It was unsettling knowing that. Was he seriously trusting a murderer?

"Kou? Are you zoning out?" Yokoo asked, which snapped Kou out of his thoughts.

Kou did zone out, but it wasn't like he could tell anyone why. Maybe he could lie since saying he was the acquaintance of a murder was not something his friends should know.

"Uh yeah, I think I'm having labor pains," Kou said the first thing that came to mind. It was a stupid reason, but Yokoo and Satou might believe it. Yokoo gave a weird look at Kou, but didn't question it.

Yokoo waved goodbye to Kou. It was weird. Really weird. It would be best if he left.

As Kou was walking home, he felt a ping in his pocket. He checked the message from Teru. It stated Teru would be home late. Kou didn't mind it, but once it was 7 PM, he worried. Teru should have been back already. What could have happened?

Kou thought Teru went over to a friend's house for the night, but then Teru would have contacted him to tell him of his plans. Kou wanted to be hopeful, but he still worried.

Teru was probably already asleep. That had to be it. Besides, Kou would see him tomorrow at school.

The next day, Kou didn't hear from Teru. It made Kou worry even more. He called Teru's phone number, but it kept saying it was no longer in service.

As he called the phone multiple times, he thought about the rumor. Was Teru dead then? No, Kou had to keep his hopes up. Maybe Himari knew the answer to Teru's disappearance.

As Kou was walking to the photography club room, he accidentally bumped into someone since he wasn't looking at where he was going. It wasn't like it was important or anything.

"I'm sorry," Kou apologized to the boy he bumped into, but their exchange didn't last long.

"I can tell you're in a hurry, so I won't keep you long," the boy said.

"Himari!" Kou called out to Himari once he got remotely close to the club room. Was the ghost not there? Kou looked into the room more and saw Nene talking with Himari.

"What did you do with Akane-kun and Yamabuki-kun?" Nene asked.

In his response, Himari shrugged. He didn't keep track of everything that had happened. That was someone else's job.

Kou went over to Himari and shook him. "Do you know what happened to Teru?"

Nene noticed how Kou was shaking Himari violently, so she decided she would be the one to break it up.

"Well, I guess I have one idea for you and your lame ass traffic earring. The daikon could listen as well."

Kou could tell Nene wouldn't keep quiet for long. He sighed as he waited for the inevitable to come.

Nene elbowed Himari in the chest since he called her a daikon. Kou facepalmed at Himari's behavior.

"You could go to No. 2's boundary," Himari said. Kou was about to ask a question, but then Nene spoke, which stopped him in his tracks.

"You want to take us to a place where life and death don't exist?"

"You want to see your companions again, don't you?" Himari asked. Kou didn't know what to think on the matter. It was dangerous, but his brother was there.

"Senpai, we should go, even with all the dangers. It's better to return those who have already crossed," Kou said. He didn't like the sound of it, but it was better to go. Who knows how many others have stepped on the fourth step, unknowing of what was to come?

Nene nodded. The three of them walked off to the stairwell closest to the art room. Kou didn't even know what to expect of it.

"How much do you bet we're screwed?" Kou asked.

"Come on, Minamoto-kun, stay positive. We're not that screwed. Besides, I can protect you from whatever comes at us," Nene reassured Kou. He didn't feel very reassured, but he wouldn't tell her.

"Yeah, and you have me to protect you, lame ass earring. Daikon, you're not a part of the deal, so you're on your own," Himari said.

"What deal? More like forced," Kou muttered under his breath.

The trio arrived at the stairwell, and Himari made his way to the third step, not stepping onto the fourth one just yet.

"Who wants to go in first?" Himari asked. Nene and Kou looked at each other before agreeing Himari should go first.

"They say ladies go first. Sooooo Daikon, why don't you go first," Himari said. The majority of what he said was dragged out.

"You're the ghost. You know better than us," Nene replied to Himari.

"And? You're the exorcist. Plus, you were the one who promised to protect lame ass earring."

Nene sighed and went in first, followed in second by Kou and lastly, Himari.

Kou took in the scenery. It was nice, but also very messy. It almost felt like they were in someone's fake world. Kou looked down and saw water. Why was there water? There didn't look like there was a water source close by.

"Welcome to No. 2's boundary. Our goal here is to find the yorishiro and destroy it and change No. 2's rumor. Is the plan clear?" Himari explained.

Kou opened his mouth to ask a question, but Himari interrupted his train of thought by saying, "No questions? Good, because I'm not repeating myself another time."

Kou facepalmed. Why did he expect answers from Himari? That was the stupidest thing he could have done. There were stupider things he could do, but thinking Himari would let them ask questions was up there.

"But you answered nothing?" Nene said. Kou facepalmed. That was the point.

"What is your question? Make it quick so we can get out of here sooner," Himari said. He waited for Kou and Nene to flood in with questions.

"What's a yorishiro?" Nene asked.

"A battery for each of the seventh mysteries. Is that all?"

Kou didn't want to be in the boundary any longer than he had to be, so he didn't ask about the water. The more he looked around, the more he saw a staircase leading up.

"I have to admit, it is pretty," Nene said as she looked around.

"Well, we'll be here for a while," Himari said.

As Nene and Himari talked, Kou approached a staircase. Who doesn't love walking up stairs? Kou knew he hated it. The staircase had a gate on it, which Kou found strange. Why put a gate on it?

"Yo, No. 2, don't give me your automated reply. I know you're there, so talk to me like I'm No. 7 and not the kids that accidentally step on the fourth step like the idiots they are."

Kou overheard Himari's voice. He took it as a sign he should take the phone away from Himari, which Kou did.

"Hello? Are you there?" Kou asked.

"Yes. But not physically. My body has been discarded. In this state, I can't do much. Will you find my body for me?" A feminine voice said.

Kou thought about it. How was the woman even calling if she couldn't do anything? Before he could ask questions, she continued speaking, "My right arm. That's the arm I used to draw with before class started. Hurry up, class begins soon."