20

"Wow, looks good." Roman whistled as Clara handed him a Margarita. She then occupied the spot beside him, crossed one leg over the other, and eagerly waited for his reaction. He took a sip, both of his eyebrows rising in the process. "Damn, this is so good. You got this from IG, 'no?"

"Yup, and it's one of the best I've tasted." Clara beamed at his reaction. She suddenly imagined this being their thing, wherein she prepped the drinks while Roman prepared the snacks, and then they would have a movie marathon or something. "Ooh, gusto mo Salty Dog next? Vodka or gin siya with grapefruit juice and a salted rim."

He nodded enthusiastically. "Game. Mahilig ka talagang mag-mix ng drinks, 'no?"

"Oo, it was something that I picked up from Kuya Tim. Pinsan ko." Clara added. She was the closest to him out of all her cousins. Kuya Tim recently moved to the States to pursue his Masters, but he made plans to go home for the holidays. Maybe she could introduce Roman to him by then. "Ikaw ba? Have you always liked playing Tennis and gardening?"

"Tennis, oo. Gardening, hindi." Tumawa siya. "Wala 'kong pasensya noong bata ako, eh. But I learned to like it in high school. I was bored that time and mom needed help. Do you want to see the garden sometime?"

"I'd love to. When?" she replied. Roman showed her pictures. The grass was luscious and the flowers were colorful. Meron din siyang napansin na kamias at malunggay tree. Ang ganda siguro ng lighting doon. It was probably filled with different kinds of fresh scents too.

"I was thinking next month. So we can prioritize our deadlines first."

She agreed with a nod. "Will I be meeting your parents din?"

"Do you want to?"

"Oo, I..." She trailed off, suddenly feeling shy.

He lightly brushed her knee and leaned back into the couch, silently encouraging her to go on. "So... about meeting your parents, can I? Because I want to. I want to get along with the people who are important to you."

Seeing her fiddled hands on her lap, Roman held them with one hand before using his other hand to pull her feet onto his lap and rub her ankles in a soothing manner. She tried to hide her smile behind her glass at the gesture. She'd noticed quickly that small gestures such as these was how he showed his affection.

"So do I, Josie. Let's plan it." At his reply, Clara nodded, a smile playing on her lips. Roman was actually looking forward to meeting her parents, despite feeling nervous as hell. Though even if Clara had told him how down-to-earth her parents were, the nerves still remained because of course, they were the parents of the woman he was courting. He wanted them to like him, but most importantly, Roman wanted them to know that this was serious and what he felt for their daughter was genuine.

"Can I ask you about past relationships? Or is that taboo?" Clara randomly asked.

"It's not, Josie. Manliligaw mo ako. It's only natural that you would know."

"Okay," she bit her lower lip. "How many girlfriends? And were you in love with them?" Curiosity was etched in her features.

"Two. One in senior high school and the other was in first year college. It wasn't anything serious. You?"

"I had three. One in grade ten, one in grade eleven, and then one in second year college. The one in first year only lasted a couple of months. 'Yong ten and eleven, one year lang. Also, my ex-boyfriend from first year and I are orgmates. We're friendly, but that's it." She replied. "Does that bother you?" She asked curiously.

"No. He's in the past. Plus, it's nice that you parted on good terms." He replied. "Ah, I forgot since you mentioned the duration of your relationships... A handful of months lang din."

Clara nodded at his answer. "Your turn. Pwede kang mag-ask pa before we watch the movie." She scooted closer to him, craving warmth despite not being cold. She just liked how comforting his presence was.

He was silent for a few moments before clicking his tongue to the roof of his mouth. "Why do you like me?"

"Hmm, why do I like you?" She repeated in a teasing manner.

"Tell me why, Josie." He smirked, patting her leg softly.

Clara took a sip of her margarita and set it on the table so it wouldn't spill. She then leaned closer to him. "You're pogi, a gentleman, kind, responsible, smart, and considerate. But yeah, you're pogi." She laughed.

Roman tapped her nose. "May emphasis talaga on pogi, huh? I'm flattered, though I hope that's not the main reason why you like me." He teased.

She chuckled. "My turn. Why do you like me?"

"You're pretty. Empathetic, lively, smart, easy to be with, kind, good at making drinks... oh, and you're pretty." Roman laughed, copying her.

Clara laughed as she lightly hit his shoulder. "Gaya-gaya."

He grinned at her. "Hmm, everything I've learned about you so far."

Clara's heart skipped a beat. "Luh. Be serious."

"Seryoso nga 'to," tumawa siya. "I like how enthusiastic you were while preparing our drinks. I like the smile on your face when you're in the moment... like the time you played with Hazel, the little dances you do when we video chat... Hmm, this might take awhile and we won't be able to watch na. Should I just send you a presentation?"

Clara's cheeks grew hot. Inwardly, her heart was threatening to climb up her throat at all the little things he mentioned about her. "Play the film, Santiago."

"Kinilig ka 'no?"

Duh.

— — — — — —

Clara awoke with her head on Roman's chest. She remembered falling asleep after the movie, but not in this position. Props go to Roman because she didn't wake up when he moved her. She glanced at his windows, seeing that night had fallen.

"Late na pala," she muttered.

"Yeah," Roman replied. "As much as I want to keep holding you like this, we need to get you home."

Clara groaned, nuzzling her face into his chest. His heart skidded as she sleepily repeated the action. He tightened his arms around her torso to secure her before sitting up in a single motion. Clara didn't know why she found that attractive, but she did.

"Thank you for being my pillow, Xav. That was a good nap." She stretched.

"My pleasure. Let's go? We can get drive-thru on the way."

"Burger King?" She asked with a hint of hope in her tone.

He softly pinched her cheek. "Anything you want."