it was bad.

turns out my nose was broken, i had multiple bruises over my face and my lip was cut so deep they had to stitch it.

3 weeks have passed since that, and I'm feeling a lot better. sure, i still can't really smile normally, but i don't mind.

it was another cold morning, this time i managed to wake up on time. i got dressed as i did usually, but i noticed my parents were really quiet.

usually they would be screaming their guts out, but this time, not even a word was muttered.

"sofia..." my mom started.

"io e tuo padre stiamo divorziando." she continued, and i felt my heart stop.

"what do you mean? you're kidding, right...?" i murmured quietly.

"tell me you're joking. please, tell me this is a dream." i quietly prayed and felt tears forming in my eyes.

"sweetie, your mom and i think it's for the best that we divorce. you'll still see us both." my dad quietly said, grabbing my arm.

i stood there, quietly crying and looking for an answer in their eyes. the only thing that i saw was guilt and sadness, which led me to storming out of the house while i cried.

it was raining, but my dumbass forgot the umbrella. and to be honest, i couldn't care less. i just walked slowly, feeling my tears mixed with the droplets fall down my face.

i quickly started sobbing, my cries could probably be heard thoughout the entire neighborhood. i couldn't care less.

i saw the bus leave right in front of me, which was my last straw. i saw chris inside, wondering where i was.

i started walking even faster, trying to catch up, but i couldn't. more tears fell and i couldn't even breathe. it felt as if the world was collapsing. i may be overdramatic, but i couldn't wrap my head around the fact that the two people who raised me will be getting a divorce.

after walking for a half an hour, i finally reached the school. i missed my first class, math. i finally walked in, seeing how people's faces changed when they saw me. my makeup was ruined, the bruises from 3 weeks ago were visible, i was crying, i was soaking wet and overall a mess.

"sophie where the fuck have you bee-" i heard lily say, but quickly stopped herself when she saw me.

"come here." she whispered and led me to the bathroom, where she gave me a big hug and engulfed me in her warmness.

i started sobbing even more. i couldn't stop myself, frankly i did not want to. it wasn't even the divorce, everything I've been hiding away came crashing down. i felt trapped in my own head.

"lily, my parents-" i hiccupped.

"you don't have to talk right now. just focus on your breathing. want me to call chris?"

did i want chris to see me in this state? absolutely not. but would he understand? he would.

i nodded carefully and she shot me a quick smile, exiting the bathroom and leaving me alone.

i finally had a chance to look at myself in the mirror, and i finally saw what the fuck i look like. to be honest, i feel like it would be better if i didn't even look.

i heard someone knock on the doors, in the rythm only one other person knew.

"come in." i said, wiping my tears and mascara.

"hey soph." chris quietly said, making eye contact with me.

i shot him a quick hi, feeling the tears form in my eyes again. seriously, bottling up your feelings is not a good idea.

"come here, u little shit." he smiled as i went in for another hug.

i felt his hand wrap around my waist, pulling me closer than i've ever been. i put my hands around his neck and quietly sobbed into his shoulder.

"what happened, soph?" he whispered, trying not to make me cry even more.

"my parents- my parents, they uh-" i stuttered, trying to form a sentence.

he let go of me and started wiping my tears.

"ts' okay, you don't have to talk now. just follow my breathing, okay?" he looked at me.

i slowly nodded and started following his breathing rythm.

"inhale, good okay now hold it for a little." he slowly said, caressing my back and drawing small hearts with his fingers on it.

after a few minutes of breathing, i finally managed to calm down. we sat down on the floor and he gave me some water to drink.

"now tell me, what happened?" he asked slowly, careful not to pry too much.

"my parents are getting a divorce." i quietly said, not daring to look up.

"oh my god, soph. i'm so sorry." he replied, not knowing what to say.

"it's fine, I'll get over it. just, a lot of shit came crashing down and i couldn't stop it." i finally looked up this time and saw chris looking right at me. he even had some tears in his eyes.

"don't bottle up your feelings, sophie. it's unhealthy and it can lead to breakdowns like these. always talk to me, even if we're mad at eachother, I'll be here to listen." he quietly said, grabbing my cold hand and blowing some warm breath over it.

"I'm okay, i promise. i was a bit overdramatic. did lily maybe give you some makeup wipes? my mascara is quite literally dripping in my uniform." i tried lightening the mood, not wanting to talk about my feelings anymore.

he nodded slowly and he sighed loudly. he knew my unhealthy habits, frankly, not all of them, but he knew than i hated talking about my feelings.

i was thankful for him.

"here, if you need help I'm right outside. i don't want to be called a pervert." he chuckled softly, giving me the makeup wipes and then left.

i started wiping my mascara and concealer. i probably used half a package.

after wiping for about 5 minutes, i finally looked a bit more normal. i took a few more deep breathes, exiting the bathroom and being met with lily looking right at me.

"you okay now, love?" she asked, throwing an arm around me.

"I'm okay, don't worry." i shot her a fake smiled, to which i got a kiss on the cheek.

"seriously, you scared me. you never skip school, especially math."

"sorry, i lost my english books so i was late for the bus." i lied through my teeth.

"yeah, that explains everything." she sarcastically said, making me laugh.

some angst on the fourth chalter because why not⁉️