Bengali Urban Legends

8 Bengali Urban Legends

*******

Introduction -

There is an abundance of ghosts or bhoots in Bengali Literature of Folklore, consisting of societal and cultural experiences which are passed from one generation to the next generation. Compared to this, the ghosts of other areas consist of occupying domestic spaces like human possession, living amongst them, haunting them, etc. Meanwhile, the Bengali ghosts, occupy marshals, ponds, jungles, and much more. Let me also tell you that they are capable of taking the human form.

In Bengal, many people believe that if a root of a haldi or turmeric is burned and kept near the nose of a ghost then the Bengali ghost won't be able to handle the smell of the burning root

In Bengal, many people believe that if a root of a haldi or turmeric is burned and kept near the nose of a ghost then the Bengali ghost won't be able to handle the smell of the burning root. The hunger of a Bengali ghost is much large, especially for fish. In times, these ghosts have gained some popularity and in today's discussion, we're gonna address some of them. So, with that said let's start!

1. Brahmadaitya

So, the first ghost we're gonna talk about is Brahmadaitya. So, it is considered in Hinduism that the spirits of Brahmins become Brahmadaitya. In India, there is a culture or tradition where when Brahmin boys reach a certain age then they have to take part in a ceremony which we call thread ceremony or upanayana

According to the legend, if a Brahmin boy is killed within 10 days after the upanayana ceremony for whatever reason then his spirit becomes a Brahmadaitya

According to the legend, if a Brahmin boy is killed within 10 days after the upanayana ceremony for whatever reason then his spirit becomes a Brahmadaitya. Brahmadaitya often makes peepal trees their home which is considered an important tree in Hinduism. You guys might even have heard in villages that there is a ghost living in the peepal tree which is mostly a reference to Brahmadaitya.

Brahmadaitya often only eats food which are offerings after a puja or prayer. In general, they often don't try to scare humans or anything, in fact, in some cases it is said that they help fellow Brahmins. Lal Behari Dey, a 19th century Bengali folklorist, according to him these Brahmadaitya often gets offended fast. Once they get angry, their anger doesn't go away until they have killed their offender.