Chapter - 2

Even as a young child Yudhisthir felt a responsibility towards his brother

Even as a young child Yudhisthir felt a responsibility towards his brother. His whole world consists of his Father, his mothers and his two brothers; Brave, loud Vrikodar and sweet, darling Phalgun.

He loved his baby brothers and would move mountains for them, that's why when Mata Madri announced her pregnancy barely 2 months after Phalgun's birth Yudhisthir didn't feel anything different from the previous two times, though perhaps he was much too young to remember the time Mata was pregnant with Vrikodar.

There was only a feeling of  ecstatic joy and excitement in him to welcome his new brother or perhaps it would be sister though all his parents seemed sure that it would be a brother.

Yudhishthir, at his young age, didn't quite understand the concept of half-brothers. To him the new babies would be the same as his two brothers and even after growing up, he never treated any of his brothers different for what were the Pandavas if not one soul in five bodies.

Due to this when his mother pulled him aside for a talk, he was confused and the confusion only increased when she asked him, "Do you know the tale of Lord Ram's life, The Ramayan, my son?" 

"Yes, I do mother" Yudhishthir answered and then corrected himself "or at least the abridged version of it."

This was true enough Yudhishthir was 5 and had not quite began his formal education though he did sit with sages and his Pitashree  to recite the mantras with them and hear the deeds of great personalities.

"Then let me be the one to enlighten you about the story of Lord Ram" his mother said  as her lotus eyes sparkled and her lips curved in a subtle smile " we shall began with the Baal Khand."

The Baal Khand narrated the birth and childhood of Lord Rama. The Great King Dashrath of Ayodhya was not able to have a son despite having three wives. On the advise of Rishi Vashishth, King Dasrath did a Putrakameshti Yagna under the guidance of Rishishringa Muni. The Yagna was successful and from it Agnidev appeared  and gave a bowl of Kheer to King  Dashrath.

His mother's  voice was joyful as she narrated as how from the three Queens four sons were born. From Queen Sumitra two sons were born, The youngest Dashrathnandan was named Shatrughan and the third son of Dashrath was called Lakshman. Queen Kekayi gave birth to the second of the four princes of Ayodhya who was named Bharat and Queen Koushalya gave birth to the eldest Prince who was called Rama.

The four brothers were as close as they could be and spent every waking moment in each other's company. After the Princes completed their education in the Ashram of Rishi Vashishth and wedded to the Princesses of Mithila, the time came for the coronation of Prince Ram but the bitter maid of Queen Kekayi, Manthra whispered poison in ears of the queen which led to the exile of Ram and the coronation of Bharat.

Bharat was very loyal to his brother and refused to become a usurper. He went to Ram to call him back but Ram refuse because a promise meant more than life to the Raghuvanshis and Raghav would not the one to break this tradition and besmirch the honour of suryavansh. Hence, Bharat returned with Ram's Khadeu, his slippers and kept them on the throne before leaving for a ascetic life himself while Shatrughan ruled Ayodhya.