Chapter One

Sybil

The sky became a bramble of thorns.

On the outskirts of the glen, just outside of my house, I sit against the cool grass and watch the stars twinkle in the dark velvet sky. The wind rustles quietly through the trees, bringing up hints of evergreen, moist earth, and smoke. Spending the evenings in the night's peace by the woods' edge, the tension in my body and mind melt away. Our kind always felt safer under the open sky.

Turning from the twinkling stars, I direct my gaze towards the village where the town will celebrate Bolide tomorrow. I smell the change of seasons in the air. Twilight stretches to its limits tomorrow, before the days begin to contract again as the cold winter creeps towards us. Bolide is one of the most sacred days for us. Hosting the longest night of the year; the sky will be filled with a cascade of stars, streaking across the darkness like fireflies. With the robust scent of hearths cooking all sorts of delicacies, it will no doubt fill the air all the way into the following night.

Brushing my fingers through the wet moss in front of me, I draw lazy symbols in the old language: my parents' language. There is magic in symbols—magic that they were supposed to have taught me.

Who will teach me now?

My skin prickles when an unexpected gust of air chills me. Running my hands over my arms while shaking my head, I look up at the moon cresting above the trees. I cannot shake the feeling that there is something else out there, aside from the chill wind, that keeps the hairs on my arms raised. I narrow my eyes.

Why don't I feel alone?

Scanning the woods, I don't hear or see anything concerning. Although my house is safe, the forest is a different story. At night, vicious creatures roam the woods, making it a dangerous place to be.

A chortling sound brings my head whipping back, and I smile. Lemon, my companion ferret, starts rolling in the grass, swiping at his face and hissing, the amber fur on the back of his neck sticking up.

"Hush now, it was only a leaf," I coo soothingly, while I pick him up and plop him in my lap. He cocks his head towards me before curling up in the warmth of the oversized pockets of my skirts. His dark eyes twinkle up at me. I stroke my hand gently across the top of his head. He nudges my head aside and turns back to the forest with a hiss.

The loud crunch of wood snapping reverberates across the glen. My heart begins to race uncontrollably, and my breath catches in my throat. I scan the looming trees, searching for any sign of movement. The smell of damp earth and fallen leaves fills my nostrils, and a cool breeze brushes against my skin, sending chills down my spine. The tension in the air is palpable, and I am acutely aware of every rustle and creak in the surrounding foliage. Under the soft glow of the moon, the shadows are slowly encroaching upon the ground.

A sudden movement catches my eye as a doe bursts from the treeline, sending up dried leaves in its wake. It dashes across the clearing with such speed and grace that I am left awestruck. And just as quickly as it appeared, the doe disappears from sight. Shaking my head, I let out a sigh of relief.

"I suppose it's time we head back to the house," I muse aloud to him, casting one last glance towards the forest's edge. Talking aloud to familiars is normal amongst my kin, and Lemon glances between me and the trees. "Supper won't cook itself and we probably have a long day ahead of us tomorrow." With a groan, I push myself from the ground, my bones protesting after sitting in the same position for such a long time. Lemon, perched on my shoulders, grips me with his claws. He chitters with agreement, and I grin at him, knowing what he's looking for.

"Maybe if you're good, I'll buy some peanut butter from the market and make your favorite treats." My lips curve into a smile at his adorable little face peeking up at me, whiskers twitching in response. Lemon balances on my shoulders as he moves his body against my head, like a cat. Oh, I'm in for it now. Better keep my promises. He's my only family, which means I spoil him beyond measure and give him peanut butter whenever he desires it.