Chapter Four

Aramis

I briefly watch as Nero and the girl disappear down the forest pass before I return to the fight. She's such a strange creature. Beautiful, for a shifter, but that's just one of their many wiles to lure their victims to a sense of security. To make themselves appear meek, defenseless and attractive. I couldn't let her distract me from my task, or from protecting my men. While they were my guards, I respect each and every one of them. Their welfare is as much my responsibility as is their duty to protect me.

"Gather up!" I yell at my guards, yanking on Percy's reins. Slashing out, I catch one of the attackers with my blade, the metal singing through the air as I parry and counterattack. Sweat beads along my brow, plastering my hair to my scalp as I focus on trying to find the archer. The guard to my left grunts as an arrow pierces his shoulder. I follow the line of trajectory until I see a small glint of metal high up in the trees.

"Got you," I whisper as the corners of my lips curl up. Gathering up my powers, I yell, "everyone down!" before blasting a wave of air outward all around me. Two satisfying thuds precede groaning as the two archers fall from their perch. Hopping down from Percy's back, I hold my sword before me as I make my way into the undergrowth.

"Prince Aramis, wait!" Edmund's deep voice rings out as he quickly catches up to me. He had only recently been transferred to join me on this mission, after serving on my father's guard for several years. I treated each of my guards with the respect they deserve. With all of his service to Shadowvale and my father, he is amongst the highest regarded guards on this mission.

Dark shadowy smoke curls around our feet as we pass the first few trees. The archers' bodies should be here! I clench my free hand at my side as I stare at the depression in the earth their fall made. There are no footprints or other signs of their escape.

Who are these people? Why did they attack us?

I scan the forest ahead and above me when I hear a scream. Turning swiftly, I spot Edmund with a knife to his neck, another to his groin where the attacker has sliced clear through his skin. Blood runs from the wound, soaking his breeches. My chest constricts as I assess the situation. My eyes slide from the pallor of Edmund's face to the figure holding him. They are dressed in shades of black, brown, and green, which help with them into the surrounding forest. Even their faces are painted with a similar color palette. Their hood has fallen behind their head, revealing dark black hair plaited down their scalp and delicately pointed ears. One could almost call them beautiful, if it wasn't for the ferocious scowl plastered on their face.

"Who are you?" I call out, advancing towards them. The smell of warm urine rents the air as I watch Edmund's eyes roll into his head as he faints. From blood loss, pain, shock, or a combination of all three, I didn't have time to find out. I need to handle the situation then assess him.

"Where did you send the Unicorn?" They reply, tightening their grip on my guard, seemingly unbothered by his dead weight.

"What do you want with her?" I demand. My pulse pounds in my ears. As I take a step towards them, they hold up their knife and shake it at me.

"Not one more step, Prince Aramis." Their voice comes out as one, soft as silk and ancient. Their lips pull up into a feline smile, sharp canines barely visible in the dim forest. "Don't make me repeat myself."

"She is gone. Let my guard go and be on your way," I growl under my breath, contemplating how many steps it will take me to reach this creature.

"What do you want with her?" They ask, a note of curiosity lacing their ancient voice.

My eyes narrow as I meet their gaze, my thumb absently caressing the smooth leather wrapped around my sword's handle.

"The King and Queen of Shadowvale have requested her presence," I declare formally. As a representative of the Shadowvale, I have the authority to state this with pride. So I force myself to sound like it matters. It doesn't...not to me at least.

"I didn't ask what they wanted with her." Their voice drips with disgust, mimicking the grimace on their face. "I asked what you want with her."

"I want nothing to do with her. My purpose is solely to transport her to the castle." I reach out, slowly gathering the wind around me. If I manage to encircle them, it would be feasible to immobilize them.

"Liar." The uniform voice purrs. Their eyes transition from black to gold, the pupil a dark vertical slit. The surrounding air seems to come alive with a shimmering light. "You're such a pretty little liar."

 The forest is quiet around us. Not even the echoing of the insects can be heard. Where are my other guards?

"What do you want from me?" I ask, tempted to take matters in my own hands and blast my powers out. They're too fast though, as I watch as their bodies dissipate into smoke, unaffected by my wind blowing through them. Edmund drops to the ground with a thud, groaning loudly.

"I want to know the measure of your worth," the voice whispers in my ear from behind me, thin tendrils of black smoke caressing my cheek. I whip around, but nothing is there.

"Come out and fight, you coward!" I yell, brandishing my sword. Anger roils in my gut. How can I fight a creature that can dissipate into thin air?

"How do you judge a man's worth?" The voice echoes through the surrounding forest. I spin around, but all I see is floating wisps of gold and black.

"Stop your riddles. What do you want with the unicorn?" I demand, angrily slicing out with my sword. It cuts clean through the air and mist.

"War is coming, young princeling. I see far and wide, but you—" It pauses and gooseflesh ripples along my skin, my hair standing on edge as its cool, magical touch caresses my arm. "You are an anomaly. You are the tipping point upon which the course of fate may be changed." Its eyes bore into my soul, but I feel its presence lessening.

"You speak nonsense," I retort, my defenses rising. My body quivers with barely controlled rage. I can sense Edmund behind me, his breaths becoming shallower by the moment.

"We shall see, Aramis Adrastos." A heavy weight appears in my right pocket. I quickly pull it out and examine the small rose quartz on a delicate silver chain.

"A gift from Alpheaia." The voice is barely audible as it whispers. The sounds of the forest and my men shouting return full force.

"We're over here! Quick, Edmund is injured. We need to stop the bleeding!" I shout, shoving the necklace back into my pocket. I rip the bottom edge off my shirt and tie it in a crude tourniquet around his leg. His eyelid briefly flutters in pain as I tighten the knot and, with the help of another guard, hoist him to his feet.

"Your Highness, the horses." He shifts uncomfortably on his feet.

"What about the bloody horses?" I grunt as I move back towards the path.

"They took off in the melee." He wrings his hands together, casting his eyes at the ground.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," I grumble under my breath. If we didn't have to travel half the continent to get one rebel unicorn to Shadowvale, we wouldn't be in this mess. Edmund wouldn't be injured and I wouldn't have had some cryptic conversation with some forest spirit. Who is Alpheaia anyways?

The guard before me stops and throws out his arm. Before us stands a tall stag, deep in his prime. The guard lifts an eyebrow in question and I nod my consent. With my spare arm, I gesture that we will continue towards Nero and the girl. I toss him one of the two whistles from around my neck and order him to catch us some dinner and hopefully find the horses. I pull one of the two whistles from around my neck and toss it to him.

They were trained military horses. There was no reason they should have been spooked by a few forest spirits. Hopefully, they'd return swiftly when they heard the signal.