Chapter Thirteen

Sybil

I lay on the bed, a cool wet cloth ripped from the sheets resting across my throbbing forehead. It pulses to the rhythm of my heartbeat and although I haven't moved, the room feels as though it's dancing around me. Taking steady, deep breaths, I assess my aching body. My injuries have started to heal, but fatigue wears at me from fasting for three days with nothing but water. At the thought of food, my stomach lets out a loud grumble and cramps painfully, causing me to curl into a ball on my side. Last night, the aroma of the warm beef and vegetable stew had filled the air, making my mouth water in anticipation. The sight of the hearty chunks of meat and colorful vegetables in the bowl was tempting, but my logical side fought against my basic animal needs to sate my hunger. As I walked away from the table, I could feel the warmth of the stew radiating towards me, tempting me to come back for just one bite. But I resisted the urge to indulge and remind myself the food is poisoned. I have to stay strong.

Nimble footsteps make their way up the stairs and I close my eyes tighter. I am in no shape to argue with Alice this morning. The door slowly opens and I open my mouth to tell her to let me free or leave me be, but I stare in confusion as the tall figure in front of me is not Alice, but two tall guards wearing the royal crest on their chest.

"Shifter, you are to come with us." One of the males states flatly.

"Where am I going?" My voice is raspy from disuse. I heave my body up into a sitting position, the thudding of my heartbeat echoing in my ears. The room spins around me, the walls and furniture blurring into indistinguishable shapes. Black spots swarm my vision, obscuring any clear sight. A faint scent of stale air and sweat lingers in my nostrils as I struggle to keep myself upright.

"The Queen has demanded your presence." The other guard replies, grabbing my elbow and forcing me to my feet.

"No!" I try to pull out of his grip but my strength fails me and I nearly fall to my knees.. I cry out in pain as the guard wretches my arm upward, causing my shoulder to burn. The other guard supports me on the other side and together they frog march me down the winding steps. I lose my sense of direction as we turn away from the large hall that leads to the courtroom. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a flash of white and cream scurrying down the hall and my heart clenches in my chest.

Lemon!

I struggle against the guards' tight grip, but they hold me firmly as we pass through another door and descend down a flight of winding stairs. The musty scent of damp air fills my nostrils, and the sound of our footsteps echoes off the stone walls. Only sporadic torches cast a flickering glow on the passage. They illuminate our path as we continue downward, casting ominous shadows on the stone walls. Despite my struggles, the guards hold me fast, their grip unrelenting as we navigate the twisting stairwell. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, and my palms grow slick with sweat as we descend deeper into the unknown depths of the dungeon. At the bottom, we stop in front of a grand wooden door that looks centuries old. The door creaks as we push it open, revealing a vast room with stone walls that tower high above us. In the center of the room, a large stone slab sits, its rough texture visible even from a distance. The air is cool and damp, making my skin prickle with goosebumps. My eyes catch on the straps around the table and the dark stains in the stone.

"Bring her to me." Her sweet melodic voice echoes through the room and I turn my head to see the queen reclined on a plush couch. Her golden curls hang loose, draping across her breasts like a golden waterfall. She shifts her position to better observe me, her sheer cream gown flowing around her. The fabric hugs her curves in all the right places, leaving little to the imagination. From our proximity, the scent of her perfume wafts through the room, a heady blend of floral and musk. Her skin looks soft and smooth. I can't help but admit this woman's beauty is one of a kind, the kind that inspires poetry and art. But I know better. Underneath her seemingly gentle exterior lies a serpent waiting to strike. The guards release me before her, and it takes all my will to keep my balance as my body shakes with fatigue.