Chapter Five

Sybil

A bellow of pain rents the air, followed by shouts and the snap of branches breaking. My heart thunders in my chest as I scan the dark forest before us. I yearn to shift into my unicorn form, where at least I'd have a chance at defending myself. Despite my wishes, the enchanted band around my wrist continues to neutralize my power. The wind shifts, and with it comes the unmistakable scent of blood, thick and metallic.

Nero moves with a grace and speed resembling a shadow, his sword glistens in the light as he lifts it up to block the trio from entering the clearing. A moment of recognition crosses his face and he quickly sheaths his sword, the sound of metal on leather echoing in the air before offering his assistance. As they move closer to where I crouch in the shadows, I notice dark stains of blood coating Aramis's arms and chest. The ancient instinct to heal wars with my desire to take this chance to flee while they're distracted. As silently as I can muster, I step slowly backwards. A resounding crack of dried wood echoes as my weight snaps a twig in two. Aramis's eyes meet mine where I stand, holding my breath in the shadows.

"Trying to escape, shifter?" He releases the guard into Nero's arms, then stalks towards me. My mouth twists into a sarcastic smile–of course he assumes I'm trying to escape, even when I know I've just newly accepted my fate. I wish he would give it a rest. My mouth feels dry and the pulse of my heart beats faster in my chest as my eyes roam from his face to the fresh stain on his sleeves. My eyes slightly widen as I take in the deepest red of summer cherries. Has he been injured? Goddess, I don't care for the man, but if he's injured, it's my due diligence to care for any injury he might have now.. My heart twists with the complicated feeling of obligation and dislike. If that's his blood—

"It's not mine," he replies to my silent inquiry.. Warmth creeps across my face, and I thank the Gods that it's nothing serious that I have to attend to."I was just assessing for injuries." I state pertly, meeting his cold stare. Strange awareness settles between us, full of complicated emotions.

"Why would you even bother, shifter? So you can gloat over that one of us was injured?" Aramis sneers and angrily wipes the sweat off his forehead. The expectation that I care only because he suspects I'd use my knowledge over him for gain hurts. I'm not that sort of healer. He really should know better.

"I wouldn't do that, your Majesty," I retort, attempting to rein in my own spite. "I'm a healer and I don't take pleasure in other's pain!" Clearly he knows nothing about healers and our mission, nor the honor I feel duty bound to complete. Glaring, I stand and edge away from him, my eyes darting to the injured guard now on the ground. Despite my situation, I'm determined to do what I was born to do and complete it to the highest level of my capabilities. The guard is substantially worse for wear, and must be attended to, as they are far worse than anyone in the clearing. And damn it all! I will heal the injured, whether or not I care for them personally. If anything, I am bound by the care and love my parents taught me. It is the quality of work my parents instilled into my first lessons of being a healer. If I learned anything, it is that no one is above the care of being treated as well as possible.

"He needs care. Please—please give me the freedom to help him." I raise my bound wrists as I look towards my captor. "He's in terrible pain, and I need to help."

"Let you go? Why? So I can free you only for your poor attempts at escape? Why would I do that?" Aramis doesn't break my gaze, and the steady reprimand unworthy of my actions makes me want to falter. Had it not been for the guard on the ground, had it not been for this desire to help break me beyond my fear, I stand straighter.

"Why? Why would you allow one of your guards to writhe in agony, losing blood with the potential to die, when you have a source that's willing and able to do what they can to save him?" I scoff, anger leading my words aloud. "I don't see any other able-bodied healers in your company."