Waging War

The door to the room flew open, and Texas burst into the room. "GUYS!" He exclaimed, "Let's have a capture the flag war!" Several states were following him.

"Bet!" South Carolina jumped up to his feet. "You get the west side of the house, we get the east! And no going outside." He held out his hand and met his eyes.

"Deal!" Texas took his hand and shook it firmly. "You have 15 minutes to prepare and gather troops. Meet back in the living room when you're ready. Oh— and here's your flag. It has to be visible." He handed them a blue bandana to use as their flag. Texas was holding one as well, except theirs was green.

They gathered everyone left in the East side of the house went to the game room. South Carolina took charge of their team, doing the bulk of the work with planning their strategies. He felt like he was about to lead his people to war. "Tennessee, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Colorado, you're in charge of hiding and guarding the flag. Be discreet. Hide yourselves if you need to." The states nodded and scampered off to go hide the flag.

"I need eight people to hide or patrol around our territory," South Carolina commanded, "Everyone else, you're going on the offensive."

The needed amount of states stepped up for that job, and they all waited until the flag people came back. Then, they got nerf guns and a whole lot of nerf darts.

They filed out of the hallway and gathered in the living room, off to the side from the couch where America and Russia were still conversing. Unbeknownst to them, a war would be starting soon.

The West arrived, and the leaders of each side— South Carolina and Texas— stepped forward and met each other in the middle.

"How many people you got?" Texas asked, folding his arms.

"21. You?" South Carolina raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"23," Texas smirked.

They were outnumbered, but not by much. They'd win even with the disadvantage, if they gave their all. He was sure of it.

"Y'all've got one minute to get into your preferred positions," Texas drawled, "Dad, can ya set a timer for a minute and then like, scream at us or something when it's done? So that we can start our war."

America stopped talking to Russia and looked over at him, a pleasant look on his face. "War? It ain't with the North and South again, is it?" He jested.

"Naw, this time it's the East and West. And you know who's winnin'." Texas grinned.

"Well, that's for you guys to decide." America pulled out his phone. "I'm starting the timer... NOW!"

He said the word, and the states all scrambled away from the living room, making sure they were prepared for the war. Guns were prepped, people were hiding, and the flag was ensured safe.

Now, this wasn't any old game of capture the flag. This was a capture the flag war. Which means that the rules were a bit different than normal. The key aspect was still the same— steal the enemy's flag, and go to jail if you're caught on their territory. But to jail someone, you have to get their back on the ground. If this happens to you in your own territory, you're incapacitated for 10 seconds. He doesn't know where the West's jail is, but they'll find it eventually.

South Carolina waited, and the scuffling sounds of feet quieted a little. He couldn't see anyone on the opposing side, either. He hears America yell, "TIME'S UP!" And he dashes across the living room, running light on his toes to be quieter. He enters the enemy hallway, alert and searching for any sign of that little green handkerchief.