Chapter one: The earthquake

A soft, yet firm knock on my door jolts me up from almost falling asleep. I would normally be a tiny bit annoyed, but I know who it is. I quickly get up and sprint to the door. Opening the door, her beautiful black hair shines in the dim of twilight

"You're finally back! It's been so long since you've been home!" I exclaim, embracing her.

"I'm glad to be here as well." She says with a light giggle, yet her demeanor shows only calmness. If I hadn't told you, you would've never guessed she had spent the last year at med school.

Without saying another word, I help her into the house as she puts all of her belongings down, it feels surreal to have her in our house again. I could get used to this!

"How about that walk we had been planning?" She says excitedly, but calm.

"Oh, I'd love to do that." I say, my excitement turning from adrenaline to serenity.

Katakan goes into another room for a few minutes to get ready for the walk.

After a few minutes, she comes back in the most beautiful blue and green kimono you could imagine, a clashing of the two cultures she comes from: water tribe and earth nation.Without a word spoken between us, we head out of the small cabin, the old door creaking as we close it.

"How was medical school?" I ask with the biggest grin on my face.

"It was amazing!" She exclaims, this is the most excited she's seemed all night. "I really liked learning how to make automail, it's so intricate yet simple. I'm excited to start helping more and more people with my doctorate."

We both smile, looking into each other's eyes. A brief kiss is shared between us for the first time in what feels like forever.

"I have to tell you something, Hiragan..." She says cautiously.

"Yes, love?"

"Well, I found out recently that I'm pregnant.." She says, not sure if I'll be happy or sad.

"That's amazing! I can't wait to see if it's a boy or girl, either way I'm sure they'll grow up to be the toughest fighter there is!" I exclaim proudly.

"You're right, we should celebrate life. Especially that of our own." She says with a smile.

We look up at the full moon, not a word is said but we both know what each other is thinking,"This night couldn't have been any better"

But then, just as the world seemed to be free of all pain and sorrow, the entire top of the hill starts crumbling down, and with it, almost everything that really matters to me. It seems supernatural for it to happen right now.

I'm able to form a shield of rocks in front of me with my earth bending, but I wasn't able to save Katakan...I open my eyes to see a spike rammed through her chest, it's the most horrific thing I've ever seen. The angel that is my wife is now dead.

"N-no... this can't be" I exclaim through tears. "It should've been me..."

I do not want to see her body any longer, so I cover it up with rocks and head down to my house. All my happiness... All my joy in life, my one true love taken from me instantaneously. Why did this have to happen to me? I just want her back.. Through the night, I try as much as I can to sleep, tossing and turning, getting out of bed for tea, all to no avail. Nothing can save this night. And although I know that I should simply leave all this alone and move on as quickly as I can, I can't help but think of her beautiful face. It haunts me.