Chapter two: The Dark Avatar

At sunrise, I decide it's time to bury her. She would've loved to be buried on this beautiful hill, looking out onto the house and world she came to know so dearly.

Getting ready to head out, I see some airbenders flying off in the distance. They seem to be having a blast, I suddenly feel a warmth in my heart knowing there isn't only misery in this world.

The door creaks as I head outside and look at the house I've known for the last 5 years. The fully wooden structure, with no buildings anywhere near gives me a sense of pride for what I've done, but a pang hits me in the heart as I imagine Katakan waving at me from inside the house. After a couple of seconds, I can no longer bear to see the house. So I turn away, and head straight up the hill.

Heading up to the top of the hill, I uncover where she was but nothing lies there but more

ruins and rubble.

Who took my wife from here? What kind of monster could've done this? Why would they do this?

Falling onto my knees with tears in my eyes, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Hello sir." a masculine, yet calm voice from behind me says. "What's wrong?"

"My wife.. She died last night and some bastard took her body before I could bury her." I tell him with tears running down my face.

"Oh, how'd she die?" He asks, probably trying to help soothe my anguish.

"The avalanche got her, I could've saved her if I was paying any attention" I say through tears.

"No, don't blame yourself. The avalanche was powerful and even an earth bender as strong as you are couldn't stop it if you tried."

I stand up, gaining more composure both mentally and physically.

"How do you know that I'm a powerful earth bender?" I ask cautiously.

"I'm the avatar, guess I can just sense a good bender when I see him." He says in a way that would make you question what you had just heard.

Who drops that they're the avatar like that? It's a bit weird, but I can sense good in him.

"Really? You're the avatar? It's an honor to meet you sir." I exclaim, quickly shaking his hand. "Care for some tea?" I ask.

"Sure, you got jasmine tea?" He asks jokingly.

"Who doesn't?" I respond in a similar joking manner, almost forgetting what had just happened last night. I guess avatars are just that kind.

We make our way down to my house and head inside. I get some water from a nearby pond and pour it into a small clay kettle, then place it into the fireplace. After a few minutes, the whistle of the kettle lets me know it's done, and I quickly retrieve it and put some jasmine leaves in it.

"What's your name?" I ask him before he gets a chance to drink any tea.

"My name is Heido, I'm currently the disowned prince of the fire nation. What about you?" He asks.

"Hiragan. After the loss of my wife, Katakan, I have nothing to really live for anymore other than keeping this old cabin from burning down." I say looking down, trying to keep my composure.

"I knew it." He says with a grin.

"Knew what?"

"Well, you're supposedly the dark avatar. Don't fret though I wont attack, I think we can be good friends in this life." He says.

"What? How do you know?" I ask, readying a knife under the table.

"I don't know for sure. Best way to test is by teaching you some fire bending, the only bending type I know at the moment."

"Well even if I am the dark avatar, the light and dark avatar have never gotten along after hundreds of years. What makes you think we're any different?"

"Simple, I have no reason to attack you and you have no reason to attack me." He says calmly.

Fair enough, I don't see a reason I'd attack him.

"So, what do you say? I'll teach you fire bending, and if it doesn't work I'll just continue my search. If it does work, we will travel to the 2 other nations and learn air and water bending." he says.

I nod, finally feeling real hope for the first time in a while.

"Great! Let's go ahead and start then!" He exclaims.

We head our way outside, hiking to a part of the hill nowhere near the house.

"Ok" He says. "Fire bending is all about harnessing your chi. Your movements can be perfect, but the chi is what creates flame." He instructs me.

I punch the air, not really focusing on chi, contrary to what he said. Of course, nothing happens.

"The movement is right, but you have to harness your chi through your hand. Think of it like you're harnessing your chi and happen to be punching at the same time." He instructs again.

This time, there's a small flame that comes from my hand.

I did it, I fire bended. I am the dark avatar, there's no doubt!

I'm gaining more and more hope as the day goes on, hope that my life will get better soon.

"Perfect!" He exclaims. "I knew you were the dark avatar!"

"Thank you, Heido." I say with a smile. "You've given me hope for a better future."