Chapter 10: Loki

After about a day's flight, Fang's makeshift wing develops a tear in it and we land in a small non-bending town to repair it. There's a hotel nearby so we decide to just stay the night and fix Fang's wing in the morning.

The landing is a bit rough but he manages to land alright.

As we're walking into the decently big wooden hotel, with Fang resting at a nearby stable, Katakan seems to be in pain.

"What's wrong, love?" I ask, grabbing her hand with one hand, and arm with another to help with her balance.

She does not muster a word, the only thing she can manage is pointing to her belly, where our son lay.

I immediately know what's happening and help her lay down on a couch in the lobby. The man tending the front desk quickly runs to a few rooms in a seemingly random order. All I know to do is stand with Katakan, holding her hand.

"It's going to be alright." I whisper, trying to soothe her pain as best I can.

Heido scrambles to look through her medicine book but finds nothing that we can use for numbing her, at least nothing that we have access to right now.

Just as I think I'm going to have to deliver the baby myself, the man who was running the desk comes running down the stairs with a man who seems to be a water bender. "He's a doctor!' He shouts as the doctor immediately starts asking questions, things like "How long has she been pregnant?" and "Does she have any sort of background in medicine?"

I nod, and say it's been about nine months, excluding her time in the spirit world.

The doctor seems a bit confused by my comment about the spirit world, but continues on anyway.

The rest of the night seems to go by in a flash, after everything calmed down it was just a matter of getting Katakan into a bed and the doctor delivering the baby. Of course everyone helped as much as we could.

A few minutes after the baby is born, Katakan gains the ability to speak without wincing in pain again. A soft sigh of relief runs through the room from everyone present.

"He looks just like you." She says, holding him.

"Maybe, but he definitely got your beautiful brown eyes."

"What should we name him?" She asks.

I think about it for a second, looking back on all the experiences I've had and people I know, and eventually coming to a decision. To name him after the man who delivered him, Loki.

"Loki sounds amazing." She says before falling asleep in the silence to come.

We end up staying another day, postponing our arrival to the air nomads yet again. I don't mind though, it's worth it to see my baby safe and sound.

Katakan wakes up at around noon and walks down the stairs of the hotel and into the lobby where I'm sitting on a chair across from the doctor, sipping tea.

"Yeah, I was actually in some of the same classes as your wife back in med school." He says before suddenly seeing Katakan coming down and rests his tea on a small table.

"Good morning." She says, the light emanating from the windows gives her a certain glow that just makes her all the more beautiful.

"Is Loki doing alright?" I ask.

"Yes, he's just taking a nap." She replies, sitting next to me.

I smile and see Heido and Ursu walking down the stairs.

"How long do we plan on staying?" I ask Heido.

"As long as Katakan needs." He replies.

"Thank you, but I'm fine to leave whenever you three want to. I can sleep on our way there if I need to." She says kindly.