One

Nico was lying in the hospital, waiting for the nurse to come back so she could put a cast on it

Nico was lying in the hospital, waiting for the nurse to come back so she could put a cast on it. He had a broken hand, stitches on his left eyebrow, a few bruised bones, and a black eye. Nico's foster father, Dan, was not a good man. The smallest things that Nico did made Dan mad. late one minute, takes too long to grab him a beer, and he gets in trouble. It's a never-ending cycle. Today, Nico finally had the courage to leave his foster parents, whom he had known since he was eighteen. Well, that didn't work out since he was in the hospital getting his hand cast up and seven stitches to the forehead. Nico just laid there looking up at the ceiling until his phone went off. He picked it up and saw that it was Tara texting him. He smiled a little, opening the text message. 'Hey, you're still coming over,' the text message said, making Nico frown. 'Dan caught me sneaking out, and he was not too happy about it.' Nico texted.

Tara knew about the abuse, as did his friends. When things got really bad with Dan and Mary, he would stay with Tara or Chad. Wes said he could tell his mom, but Nico told him no; he didn't want to go to a group home. Nico is eighteen now. He just wanted to leave Woodsboro, but he couldn't leave Tara or his best friend, Chad. Dan and Mary, his foster mom, wouldn't let him leave; they said if he left, they would find him and make his life a living hell, even though they have been doing that since he was 10.

Nico's phone started ringing. Nico saw it was Tara, so he answered, "Are you okay?" Tara asked before Nico could even say hello, "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I have some stitches and a cast, but I'm good." Nico said, "I should have canceled our plans, maybe." Tara went to say, but Nico cut her off: "It's not you, Tar; I'm okay after I get my cast on. I'll come see you, okay?" Nico said with a small smile, "Okay," and Tara said, "But it's probably going to be a while, so maybe you should ask Amber or Mindy to come over." Nico said, "Yeah, okay." Tara said, but Nico could tell she was a bit sad. "I'll bring your favorite ice cream," Nico said.

"Chocolate fudge brownie?" Tara asked, and Nico could tell that Tara was saying, "Yes, chocolate fudge brownie." Nick said with a smile that he went to say something, but the nurse came in. "Hey, the nurse just came in. I'll talk to you later." Nico said, "Okay, I love you." Tara said, making Nico freeze. Nico wasn't used to hearing those words; if anything, it kind of scared him if he said those three words back because he was afraid that she would leave just like everyone else did. "Uh, see you soon, bye," Nico said, then hung up and cursed himself. He loved Tara with all his heart, but he was scared. What he didn't know was that Tara was about to get attacked by something he just couldn't escape from.

•••

Tara was sad that Nico wasn't coming over until later, so she took his advice and texted  Amber. 'Mom's out of town again.' You should come over here. Many binge-watch options'. Tara looked at the landline while walking over, checking who was calling. Not knowing the number, she rejected the call. Walking back over to where she was before seeing that Amber had responded, 'Have to do better,' Amber texted, 'Unlocked liquor cabinet,' which Tara sent. Amber replied with a "sold," causing Tara to smile. She grabs her inhaler and shakes it, placing it between her lips pushing her pointer finger down on the pump when the land line starts to ring again. 'What happened to Nico? Wasn't he supposed to come over?' Amber texted, 'Yeah, he's coming over later and told me to text you so I won't be alone.'Fucking land line won't stop ringing,' Tara sends to Amber. 'Is it still bothering you?" Amber sends it, causing Tara to toss her eyes as she walks to the landline to answer the call.