Four

"I've actually never seen a stab," Richie said as he and Sam were driving to Woodboro

"I've actually never seen a stab," Richie said as he and Sam were driving to Woodboro. "You've never seen a stab?" Sam asked surprisedly, "Mhm," and Richie hummed, shaking his head. "Not even the one that came out last year?" Sam asked, "I mean, I've never seen Gone With the Wind either, but I don't consider it a huge hole in my cinematic education." Richie said, "Most of the stab movies are based on the things that happen here," Sam said, causing Richie to look at her, not liking where this is going. "Define things," Richie said. "Thinks like a guy named Billy Loomis and his friends craved up a bunch of high school kids while wearing this Halloween ghost mask," Sam explains.

"You mean like Halloween?" Richie asked, making Sam give him a look. "No, not like Halloween," Sam said. Richie looked at Sam, then back at the road. "Oh, that sounds a lot like Halloween," Richie said, sounding confused. "All right, it's a little like Halloween," Sam said. "Okay," Richie said, nodding his head. "And every decade or so, some idiot gets the bright idea to put on the mask, kill his friends, and get famous too; the last time it happened was 2011." Sam finishes explaining the stab movies. "And we came here voluntarily?" Richie asked with a small smile.

"Well, I've got to make sure Tara and Jax are okay." Sam said, looking at Richie, who looked at her, "Yes, of course, and I've got to make sure we don't get sliced up by some lunatic who saw Friday the 13th and thought, "You know what? That Jason guy got some pretty solid ideas," Richie said, causing Sam to smile and shake her head. the drive past a sign that had "welcome to Woodboro" on it. "Can I ask you one question, though?" Richie asked as Sam stopped smiling. "Yeah," Sam said. "Do you have any idea why someone wearing that mask would want to kill your sister?" Richie asked, looking at Sam for a second. Sam thought for a second before answering, "No," she said as she gazed out of the passenger window. Richie looked at her for a few seconds as they drove into the town.

•••
2013

10-year-old Nico and 9-year-old Marcus were walking to the carpenter's house. "I'm sorry," Marcus said quietly, feeling guilty that he got hurt because of him, which made Nico look at him as they walked. "It's not your fault," Nico said, looking back at where he was walking. "Dan is a dick, I wasn't going to let him hurt you," Nico said as they reached the house. Nico had a bloody nose, split lips, and a black eye from his foster dad, Dan. Dan had told him to leave, so Nico went to the one place he felt safe, beside the Meek-Martin house. Marcus knocked on the door. After a few seconds, the door was opened by Sam Carpenter, who smiled when she saw the two boys, but that went away when she saw Nico's face. "I'm gonna kill him." Sam said to open the door wider for the boys to walk in. The two walked in, and Sam shut the door. "Go sit on the couch; I'm going to get the mid-kit," Sam said, making the boys nod and walking into the living room.

It was well known to everyone, but the police knew that Dan was an abusive asshole, and his wife did nothing about it. The deputies and CPS have been called so many times about it, but Dan played it like Nico was a kid who got into a lot of fights because of his sister, which was a lie, of course. Sam knew that, and Dewey knew that, but the foster care worker did nothing.