Chapter Seven - Substitution

"You must bring me another young man who is just as handsome. If you do, I shall undo my spell and release Hansel." Maria said.

"Are you suggesting that we sacrifice someone else," Anna asked, "so Hansel can be free?"

"Indeed, it is only on this condition that I will return Hansel to you."

"Unfortunately, men as handsome as Hansel are not so easily found," Petra said.

"It is much easier to skin a live cat," Rosina added.

"Hmm..." Sophia mused. "I do know one man whose beauty rivals that of Hansel."

"And who is that?" Rosina asked.

"My second cousin, Karl, who is fond of wine."

"Ah, I suppose...he IS rather handsome," Petra said, "despite his repulsive personality and lack of grooming."

"Exactly," Sophia said.

"But surely, you do not really intend to sacrifice your cousin?" Anna asked.

"Second cousin," Petra corrected. "They are barely even related."

"And it is not a sacrifice, you silly goose," Sophia explained. "It is an exchange."

"It is a transaction, Anna," Rosina added. "A transaction that will return Hansel to us."

"Enough chatter." Maria clapped her hands in exasperation. "Bring me the boy. I don't have all day."

"Let us go, ladies," Sophia said. "We have some work to do."

...
...
...

Maria had taken off her apron and had put on her garment of wickedness. Seated alone in her snug parlour, she nibbled at her ginger biscuits and waited for her delivery.

In all honesty, it didn't necessarily matter whether the girls succeeded in their mission, since Maria had nothing to lose either way. Still, she believed in them. There was something about their determination that almost reminded Maria of her younger self. It was simply unfortunate that things would not end well for them.

"What arrant fools those wenches are!" Maria thought. "To think that I will ever release Hansel!" She cackled drily. "I shall keep both men for myself."

She continued to eat her biscuits, smiling at her good fortune. Handsome young men were pleasant to look at, of course, but their true value lay in their blood. In all her years, Maria never knew anything half as delicious. She licked her lips in anticipation and her fingers began to twitch.

She would have drained Hansel of blood already, but that would have been imprudent. Seasoned witches such as herself knew that blood always tasted infinitely better at midnight.