Chapter Eight - String Quartet

Once darkness descended, Maria lit the candles. It was a task she always enjoyed, whether or not it was required for her dark arts. Maria lay on her settee as she perused an old copy of Sorcerer's Monthly.

BOOM BOOM BOOM

"It must be those four wenches," Maria thought. "Do not be so aggressive with my door!" she cried. Abandoning her magazine, Maria went to open the door.

The damsels stood before Maria bearing a human-sized sack.

"We have brought the replacement." Anna said. The girls lowered the sack onto the floor.

"You have done well." Maria pulled her cane out of her garment of wickedness.

"We have done as you said. Now you must release Hansel."

Maria laughed wickedly. "I shall do no such thing! I will keep both Hansel and his rival for myself." She pointed her cane menacingly at the girls. "Now leave my home before I turn you all into frogs!"

"On no account are we leaving without Hansel!"

"Foolish girls!"

Maria lunged at Sophia with her cane. Before it could make contact, however, Petra struck Maria's hand with such force that the cane fell to the ground.

While Maria attempted to pick it up, Anna and Sophia gave her a shove so that she fell on her back, letting out a piercing shriek.

Undaunted, our noble damsels lifted the sack from the ground and dropped it on Maria's torso to immobilise her. She cried out in pain.

"You wenches will rue–"

Petra had stationed herself beside the witch's head, and she stomped her foot upon it. Maria screamed in agony.

The other damsels followed Petra's example, attacking the witch in a similar manner. Anna targeted an arm. Sophia targeted a leg. Rosina, however, took things a step further by jumping repeatedly on the sack on Maria's chest.

With the air continually being pushed out of her lungs, the witch did not even have the privilege of screaming anymore. All she could do was to experience the excruciating pain in silence.

The scene had a certain beauty to it which was rather reminiscent of a fast, intense string quartet. One could almost hear the melodic shrieking of the violins and the rhythmic thumping of the cello. Each instrument contributed in its own way to the overall harmony, thrilling the senses.

Only in its brevity did this performance disappoint. It did not take very long before Maria was thoroughly trampled to death, and the music faded away into silence.