7. Lunching with the black widow, again

Pov:
Peter Parker

I arrive and we go build the AT-AT set while I talk about that I've met the black widow. I swear, if I hear "DUUUUDEEE" one more time, I'm going to die. I pick up the last lego piece and hold it on one side while Ned holds the other side. It's not a big brick, just a one by four but this has become a tradition. We start it and finish it holding the first and last brick together. "Yessss!" Ned cheers and we do our secret handshake. We make some pictures of the build and put it on the Lego shelf above his bed. "I think it's time to go on patrol again, thanks for the awesome morning!" I wave goodbye and walk to a nearby alley to put on my suit.

The rest of the day was pretty average. I went on patrol, stopped a burglary, an abduction, some fights and of course helped someone pack their groceries. I look on my phone and see the messages from Natasha.

Spider
Peter?
You really just left?
You dare leave me like that again.
Come on!
Please come back.
You will get food tomorrow if you get back!

Peter
I'm back
Do I get food now?
Or will I get kidnapped?
Both would be a first

Spider
Thank god you are back. Yes you will get food and no you won't get kidnapped. We can meet at the Avengers Tower park tomorrow, we both know where it is.

Peter
Okay!
Totally not freaking out about meeting an avenger

Spider
But you have already met me before?

Peter
But then I was only half conscious, now I have every bit of my conscious to freak out about it!

Spider
I am not even going to argue with that. But see you tomorrow then?

Peter
Yes!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Everything hurts. I try to open my eyes and see a cloud of debris. I realize I am stuck underneath the building that Vulture destroyed. I need to get up and lift the heavy debris off of me, but I am not wearing my spider man suit. I am just Peter now. Peter can't do this. I see May laying underneath the same piece as I do. I try to lift it, but I am not strong enough. Another piece of the building falls and everything becomes black. I can't breathe, I can't breathe! I need to lift it, I am spider man! I need to lift it for May! I am barely able to lift the piece and sprint to May. "You failed me Peter, you are useless. You and your Parker's luck. You are cursed, you are a burden, I never wanted you. You are a disgrace no-one could ever love." May coughs, the coughs getting more violent until she coughs blood. "Ben is dead because of you and now I am dead because of you. You could have saved either of us, but you chose not to." She coughs one more time before her eyes just stare into the distance and her chest stops rising and falling.

I jump awake and immediately start crying and have a panic attack. "it was a dream, it was a dream, it was a dream! May was never there!" I frantically mutter in an attempt to calm myself down. "She loves me... Right?" I whisper to myself, even though I don't believe it. Ben's death was my fault, my fault. I could have saved him, why didn't I get shot, why did he have to move in front of me? I should be dead, it should have been me. I sob and try to calm my breathing. I look at the clock. 5 am. I stare at the ceiling and try to fall back asleep again but I know I won't.

Pov:
Natasha Romanov

I sit completely still while looking at the clock. Only one more hour. I want to get to know the kid without him being completely beaten up. I will murder everyone that dares to touch my baby spider. It is a weird idea that the black widow isn't as insensitive as everyone thinks, but how could someone not love him. Like, that fluffy curly hair, those brown puppy eyes? He is so polite as well, I don't know how anyone could beat him up.
this whole ordeal confuses me though, I have never liked kids. This kid is special though. I wish I could adopt him or something, but he probably has a loving family and besides, what would the avengers think? No, I will just try to keep an eye on him. I have only met him once, but I want to protect him.

I walk towards Peter and say hello. "You actually came Miss- eh, Natasha!" Peter responds excitedly. "Of course I did and I brought food! Do you like Thai food? I bought a lot, I am hungry and you are probably too." He nods and I start eating. "This food is also for you, you can eat it." I chuckle at him, he was just staring at the food. He immediately starts eating. "So, straight A student, what year are you in?" "I am a freshman, but I am in the senior chemistry class. Still too easy though, but I am in it together with Ned but also Flash." I get furious at the idea of Flash being in the same year and classes as him, but try to hide my anger. I just realized what he had said about chemistry and realized that this kid is better than Tony at that age.  "Wow, even Tony didn't get that fast into a senior chemistry class! Your parents must be so proud of you!" Peter looks at me with a sad smile. "Thank you, but my parents can't be proud." "What kind of parent wouldn't be proud of their kid?" I am confused and angry. "The dead kind. I live with my aunt, my uncle is also dead." He utters with a small voice. Poor kid. No-one should have to go through so much death at that age. And now I fucked up, I brought up bad memories. "I am so sorry. I didn't know." he looks at me again and smiles. "It's okay, my parents died a long time ago and my aunt is pretty good."
We continue eating our lunch while talking before saying our goodbyes. During our chat I have noticed that his bruises from when I found him in the alley are already almost gone but that it looks like he has different bruises. He didn't tell me that he was attacked by 'Flash' again. Maybe there are more bullies than he is telling. The idea of bullying makes me boil with rage. Maybe he just didn't keep his promise, but I can't seem to believe that. I will keep an eye on him.

I get back to the tower and see Tony sitting there deep in thought. "what are you thinking about?" I ask and he looks startled. "The new intern that starts tomorrow. Peter I think? His test results were so high, I might just try out having him as my personal intern." He ponders. I think about it for two seconds and know Peter would be the perfect fit for this. "Just do it." He thinks about it for a bit. "You know what, sure."