Chapter 6

Anirudh rubbed his eyes and yawned as he entered his haveli, returning from the court. Trilochan who was having his evening tea saw him coming and quickly asked, "Where were you last night?". Anirudh stopped infront of him as he twisted his brows, "You don't know?"

"Of course I don't. You didn't even give me a call. Just how careless you can be?"

"But I did tell Batuk to inform you that I was staying at my friend's house."

"Really? Batuk! Batuk?! Are you sleeping again?!" Kaka called him in a loud voice. Batuk entered the room as he rubbed his eyes too and asked, "Why are you shouting Kaka? Atleast let me sleep peacefully."

"All you know is to eat and sleep! If your father gets any complaint from your school, you are gone! Why didn't you tell me that Anirudh had called you last night?!"

"Call you? Who called you? Is everyone arranging a celebration or something now?" He asked nonchalantly.

"Yes yes! A funeral for me! Want to come?" Kaka said sarcastically.

"Kaka, don't be so adamant on dying. Life is too short. Take my wise advice and have fun, just like me!"

"Oh, now I have to take an advice from a careless boy like you? Looks like my bad days have come." Kaka snapped at him. 

"Kaka Kaka, let's just get to the point. And Batuk, go and quickly wash your face and return." Anirudh said calmly. Batuk did just as his Dada had told him and returned back, feeling a bit of energy.

"Okay now, answer Batuk. Did you simply forget to tell Kaka about this or any other reason?"

"Oh right! I was so sleepy yesterday that I had forgotten to tell Kaka about you! Though Kaka was upset during dinner time also, so, I didn't think of bothering him."

"I see. So, I have told you. I was staying at a friend's house." Anirudh replied quickly and began to walk away.

"Wait." Trilochan said, "Was your friend a man or a woman?" He asked.

Hesitating slightly, Aniridh answered, "A woman."

"Then, can I arrange your marriage with her?" Trilochan asked him expressionless making him feel embarassed, "A-A marriage with her?"

"Yes yes. You don't have any woman you love yet. Why don't you marry her? You will be happy and I would get some peace." Trilochan replied calmly.

"You don't care about status anymore?"

"You have made me leave with no choice after all."

But, I can't...."

"Why?"

"Well, she's someone you know.... It's Bondita. And, you already know that she has no interest in, marriage....." He tried to say as he looked down. He felt his uncle's voice getting softer and heard him say, "Oh, I see. Get freshed up, Anirudh." A soft smile sprung on his face after watching his back. 

-----------------------------

At night, Batuk ran towards Anirudh, calling him softly, "Dada! Dada!". 

Anirudh turned around, holding the telephone in his hands and moved his brows.

"I want to tell you something!" He whispered.

"I am currently talking to someone! Later!" He whispered back as he signed him to go away, "Oh! Nothing nothing. Batuk just wants to talk to me regarding something." He replied with a soft smile.

"Dada! Whom are you talking to? Is it your lover?"

"N-No, it's Bondita." He replied shyly. 

"Really?! It has been years since I last saw her! I want to talk to her!"

"Later, now tell me what you want. Bondita, please be on hold for sometime. So tell me."

"You want to keep her all to yourself?! That's unfair!" Batuk insisted. 

"Hey! Think before saying anything! Bondita can hear you!" He argued. 

"What can I hear?" Bondita asked as her voice became lighter.

"Dada! Kaka is secretly planning a wedding for you! He wants you to meet the girl and her family!" Batuk quickly said.

"What?! Kaka is not giving up yet? He is some stubborn bull."

"He seems very serious! He said that if this year you don't get married he will have to force you to marry someone."

"As if he was not forcing me now! Kaka has become such a headache... Thanks for telling me Batuk..." Anirudh said with a heavy sigh.

"Dada, you don't have to stress much! Everything will be okay!" Batuk replied with a smirk as he ran away.

"What's with this confidence in his tone? Um Bondita, you heard everything, right?........... Bondita? Bondita! Bondita! Bon-"

"Uff! I am coming!! Why are you shouting like this?!" She said as her voice became louder.

"Well, you weren't responding to me."

"Huh! As if I have to leave everything just to talk to you! You said that you were on hold, so I had gone to drink water! Do you want me stay thirsty while I talk to you?! Sakhababu, you are really something!!" She responded irritatedly.

"I-I am sorry. You can peacefully drink your water." He quickly said. 

"I am not thirsty now. Well, I did hear some of it. Kaka is again pressurising you to get married, right? Don't worry, I have an idea! Just meet that girl tomorrow!"

"A-Are you fine with it?"

"Fine with what?"

"With meeting that girl?"

"If course not! I can't let you get married against your will! I can't see my friend sad for years after all!" She replied happily. 

"Hmm..... Then, see you tomorrow...." He said in a low voice while keeping back the telephone with a soft smile, "I wonder what she is thinking....."

---------------------------------------

The next day, Anirudh returned his home early, "I will just go to sit peacefully and listen to some good music. It was too tiring today....." He said to himself as he entered his house. He stopped walking when he saw Kaka talking to an old man, who was sitting between his wife and daughter.

"Oh! You are back Anirudh! Get fresh and we will talk together! Here, have some tea." Kaka said with a grin as Bihari served a cup of tea to the man.

"You are such a good person Zamindar Babu! I am sure your nephew will be just like you!" The man replied.

"Damn! Kaka deliberately did this! Why did they arrive now only?! My precious time of peace...." Anirudh thought with a forced smile. 

P.N: Thanks for reading! 😃💕