Chapter Four: Baku

SATURDAY AM

Baku came as a relief to the entire team. Free practice performance was like night and day compared to the poor showing in Monaco. The team's hopes were up and you were ready to take on the day. Having been in Baku for the last two days you'd been lucky enough to have some free time in the evening to explore the city, another place you had never visited before. You'd gone out for dinner with the rest of the Comms team and then met up with Bella and the other engineers for drinks as you had intended in Monaco. The team was tightly knit and it was nice to see the different departments bonding outside of work. The more time you spent with them the more Toto's words about the team being like a family rang true.

Toto had arrived last night, having ended up staying behind in the factory for free practice. You hadn't seen him yet and were still unsure of what to make of him. As most of your interactions were one on one or part of a large group meeting, you were curious to see how he was with other colleagues, and if Bella was correct in her estimations.

You had woken up early as the Drive to Survive crew had requested to film a follow-up gym segment with Toto. Dutifully but somewhat reluctantly you agreed to help once again and you donned your Mercedes uniform t-shirt for the second time. This time you paired it with some black shorts as it was much more humid in Baku than it had been in Barcelona. You weren't going to be working out so it didn't matter that they were a little short.

You made your way down to the gym early, hoping to sneak in a short workout before the camera crew arrived. Luck was on your side and you found the gym to be empty. Having discovered yesterday that you could connect your phone to the gym speakers you even took the liberty of putting on your gym playlist, a trashy mix of y2k hip hop, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion.

Engrossed in your work out you were surprised to turn around and see Pete and the camera crew had started to arrive. Grinning sheepishly and returning your weights to the stack, you went over to greet them.

"Morning guys, sorry I got here a little early so thought I'd squeeze in a workout. How are you all?" you said, a little embarrassed that you had been caught.

"No worries at all, the big man's not here yet so by all means please carry on!" said Pete. "How have you been? We've been rammed, to be honest, back-to-back shoots."

Just as you were about to respond Toto walked in, looking very smart in a navy tee and matching shorts.

"Morning everyone, how is it going?" he said as he strode in.

"Morning boss," you smirked, "Long time, no see."

"I know, too long!" he smiled, coming to a stop where the crew were standing, "So how are you all enjoying Baku?"

Pete and Toto continued to make small talk as the camera crew readied their equipment and it wasn't long before the camera was ready to roll. You had once again been given a list of scripted prompts to take Toto through while you spotted him, this time discussing a racing incident that had taken place last weekend and cost Mercedes dearly.

You made quick work of the questions with a puffed-out Toto giving concise answers that apparently weren't enough for Pete and the crew.

"I hate to say this Toto but do you want to try something different? Maybe lighter weights or an alternative exercise? I know you want to be the macho man lifting heavy weights but it's not making the best content." Pete said, in an annoyed tone.

"Pete, with all due respect, you asked us to present it in this manner, it certainly was not Toto's first choice," you said, folding your arms, unhappy with Pete's line of accusations.

Toto sat up on the weights bench, looking irritated, "Yes, it's no problem to change. And I certainly do not need to lift weights to be... what did you say? A macho man." He then stood up, making his way towards Pete, towering over him and adding, "I'm not Christian."