Chapter 2 - The Princes

"How is he?" Aitus asked in a hushed tone. Eamon glanced at the doctor, Sola, and both shook their heads.

"A week, perhaps a month at most," the doctor murmured. "And his mind comes and goes. Right now he is lucid. Give him this to extend it, my prince." The doctor pressed a small, clear vial into Aitus' hand.

"Thank you, Sola," Aitus said, and opened the door to his father's room. Curtains were drawn over the windows, leaving the stone room in near-total darkness, save for a few flickering candles.

"Who's there?" Called a reedy voice from the bed.

"It's me, Father," Aitus said, drawing near to the bed. "Ernst has been sent out. The die is cast."

King Torin coughed, a dry, rattling sound. "So be it." He struggled to sit up and looked at his eldest son. Aitus handed him the vial, and the king drank it, shuddering at the aftertaste. "Ugh, these doctors."

But the drought seemed to help, for the king's eyes became more clear, and he spoke with more strength. "I've heard the doctors whispering, and I know I haven't much time, so listen closely, my son."

Aitus sat down nearby and took his father's hand in his own. "Yes, father."

The King of Marusia took a deep breath and fixed Aitus with an unwavering gaze. "I have spent my life conquering for your sake. Because of that, you will inherit the greatest kingdom our continent has seen since the Fall. Following the work of my own father, I have supported the wizarding masters, the paladin orders, and the merchants, and I charge you to do the same. Further, I have left you with alliances with Colhiland and Yunwia. To you it falls to deal with my brother, the Baron of Brapton." The king frowned. "He will make a play for the throne if you do not forestall him. Then, of course, you will have to execute him, and I would rather that not happen. The duke of Wanhaia will continue to sponsor the pirates, so you must stay on his good side. Our 'allies' across the Sunset Sea, the Valondean Confederation, exist only in name. And near them, the Tsuians grow strong. Talagai cannot stand before their assault." The king coughed again. "I had hoped to leave you a more unified kingdom, but alas." He slumped in his bed and took a deep, rattling breath. "Find who did this to me. Make them suffer."

With that, the king seemed exhausted. He looked asleep, and Aitus made to leave. But the king's eyes snapped open and he grabbed at his son's arm. "Please," the king said, voice soft. "Do not forget me. Don't let them..." The king's eyes closed again, and his grip relaxed as the king fell asleep.

Aitus' jaw clenched and he stood up. "Sleep well, father," he whispered.

***

Gilaric leaned over the railing, trying to hold down his lunch.

"You don't have to worry about that," Raleph said, coming up beside him.

Gilaric turned to the apprentice wizard, face pale. "What do you mean?"

"I mean that I can make it so you don't feel seasick." Raleph furrowed his brow and gripped a bracelet on his left wrist with his right hand. "Look at my eyes."

Gilaric obeyed, hoping whatever the other was doing, it would be quick.
"Eledhos sorthitha," Raleth commanded, drawing his hands from himself toward Gilaric, and touched his forehead lightly. "How is that?"

Gilaric looked down at his hands in surprise. "I feel...fine." He smiled. "You're one of those magicians?"

"Yes," Raleph said, and breathed a sigh of relief. "I had hoped my pronunciation was good, otherwise you'd be, well," Raleph smiled nervously. "Not much better off, we'll say."

Gilaric raised an eyebrow. "I see." He glanced behind Raleph and his eyes widened and he drew to attention.

"No need for that," Ernst said, waving his hand. He had discarded his uniform, and wore a comfortable looking white shirt. "We're all going to be trainees once we arrive at Talagai, anyway. I'm Ernst," he said, extending his hand. Ernst was tall, and wore a crisp uniform denoting him as a member of the royal family. He wore his blonde hair short, and carried himself with an air of quiet confidence born from years of knowing who he was.