Chapter 3 - Storm Clouds

A loud splash sounded off the starboard bow.

"What's that?" Raleph said, sitting up suddenly and peering over the side of the ship. "Sea serpents? Pirates?"

"The sea anchor." One of the younger sailors, Alec, grinned. "When we cross the Sunset Sea, we go west during the day and anchor at night. Otherwise, we end up going some other direction than toward the Isle of the Sun."

"Of course," Raleph said, sounding annoyed with himself. He relax and sat back down.

"How does that work?" Galaric asked from where he sat sharpening his sword. He brought the hilt toward his eye and checked the straightness of the edge. "Surely we could make better time sailing during the night as well as the day."

The sailor shrugged. "I don't know how it works, just that it does. Maybe the wizard boy could tell you."

Galaric turned to Raleph. "Well? I've been landlocked my whole life. I never had to learn this stuff."

"And never read a book on travel to Talagai? What sort of education did you have?" Raleph raised his eyebrows. "For that matter, Valin seemed to think your sword skills were below par. Just how did you manage to get an acceptance letter to Talagai?"

Galaric shrugged. "Perhaps I slept through 'Magical Seafaring Level One.' If you don't know the answer to my question, just say so."

Raleph frowned. "That's not what I said. The reason we're headed to the Isle of the Sun is because that's the shortest path, magically speaking, between the eastern and western continents. We could take the long way, but that would take weeks or months." He stood up, beginning to get animated. "This, on the other hand, will take us a few days to get to the Isle, and then a few days after that to arrive at the bay of Talagai. Time works differently in the path of the sun, at least when the ship is piloted by and Elder-blood of the Solari tribes, and we're taking advantage of that." Raleph leaned against the railing, content in displaying his knowledge.

"Huh." Galaric sheathed his sword. "So there's no point in continuing at night."

"No," Raleph said. "In fact, all other ships will pause at night. If we're lucky, we may even see some. Come up to the crows nest, and you'll see. I've got a telescope."

The two began to clamber up the rigging. But when they reached the crow's nest, it was already occupied by Ernst, who hastily shut a leather-bound volume and tucked it into his vest as they climbed in next to him. "What brings you two here?"

"Looking for other ships, sire," Raleph said. "And you?"

"I was looking for some quiet and privacy," Ernst said. "But I suppose that may be a little much to ask for on a ship this size."

"You're the younger of the Torinsons, right?" Galaric said, settling in next to the young prince. "I've heard news about your father. I'm sorry to hear that."

"Thank you," Ernst said. "And yes, I am the younger one, which is why I'm going to Talagai." He smiled a little. "We wouldn't want the Crown Prince killed and eaten by the Draki, now would we?"

"Is that what you're afraid of?" Galaric asked. "Not to pry, I mean."

"No," Ernst said, his voice growing serious. "I'm concerned for my older brother. He's always been more ambitious than me, but also more impulsive. I worry that without me there he won't have anyone to check him. But I suppose there is nothing I can do now." He sighed and looked out at the ocean. Silence fell for a few moments. Then Raleph pointed at the horizon. "Look there, a light." He produced a telescope and peered through it, and then passed it to Ernst. "It's another boat, about the same size as us. I wonder where it is from. Valonde, perhaps?"