🌸 How it Works 🌸

The Rose Gold Awards function differently than most other awards, and it can be a bit complicated

The Rose Gold Awards function differently than most other awards, and it can be a bit complicated. If you're unsure or curious, here's where the process will be explained.

We fill up as many genres as possible. If some do not get enough entries, we will remove the genre and add slots to other genres that are full. Then, once most slots are full or once we hit the entries deadline, we will close the form to begin judging.

Each genre only has one judge assigned to it. This is because all judges have different opinions and judging methods; some are harsher than others, and some are more lenient than others. To have fair results, we assign each genre to a single judge. That's also why the judging process tends to take 2–3 months. Judges are required to read five chapters of each book, however, they can read more if they like.

As judges submit their critiques for each genre, we publish results chapters for those particular genres. Prizes for each genre will be distributed as we publish the results. Once all genre results have been published, the overall winners will be chosen and we will publish the semi-finalist list.

Volunteer judges will judge the special categories, such as best cover, title, blurb, etc. Those chapters will be posted after the genre winners are announced. The prizes for the special categories will also be distributed once the results are posted.

The host takes the first place winners of each genre (and sometimes the second place winners if their scores are nearly tied) and reads all of them. She does not write any additional critiques, nor does she score the stories. She just ranks her top 5 winning stories, based mainly on plot and writing. Once the overall results are posted, the awards are over!

From then, prizes for the overall winners will be distributed, announcements will be made, and the annual awards will officially be completed!

Any questions about the process? Ask here in the comments!