25. WILL

Veer's POV

I stood in front of my mirror in a black suit. We had succeeded in a mission. IB was about to celebrate at our win. But not a single nerve in me was happy.

It was late. I was late. I lost her.

I looked down at the ring in my hand.

The fire had been put out successfully. My father's body was found. I stood there with Jai and Prayas who looked over the whole scene. Of around a hundred men laying lifeless. Some intact and some blown away.

A group of firemen came to us. One of them handed me a clear bag with a Shrishti's ring within.

"The person was in direct contact with the bomb. Even if we looked, we wouldn't find anything of the victim. This was the only evidence we found." She spoke and nodded. She looked at me for a second and returned.

The ring. Was drenched in blood. Shrishti's initials clearly shone in the rising sun. Loathing filled me. I let that happen to her.

I looked at the mirror and sniffled looking at my red nose and swollen eyes. Then again, I dropped the ring in the drawer of my dresser.

Jai opened the door of my room, "Let's get going."

...

I sat before the flashing cameras and paparazzi. Prayas and Jai sat next to me. The two hadn't left me. The director spoke into the microphone.

"The team is back in full swing. Veer Singhania and his team have completed this herculean task in a course of two months." He spoke.

One of the reporters stood up, "It was published that the person who was running the biggest drug cartel was the biggest businessman in India. Avyukt Singhania, who also turns out to be your father. How do you feel about that, officer Veer."

I cleared my throat, "I'd rather you not relate professional events to personal emotions. Thank you."

"It was reported that you also failed in your previous mission of the cartel owner of India, how did you manage to catch such a big deal? Or was it just in the family?" A reporter asked with sickening laughter. I maintained my calm face.

"I'l make one thing clear. This mission cost us a lot of lives. My relationship with my father should not outshine the efforts of the people who lost their lives. Be it our confidential help, or our very own member of IB." I looked at Jai and Prayas who looked down not meeting my eyes, "I hope you reflect on our actions and be respectful towards a job you know very little about."

The reporter threw me a smug look. I set my microphone down. I was sure that if I didn't put my mic down, I would say things that would tamper the reputation of IB.

"Excuse me. Is there anyone who wants to ask more questions?" The director asked. One stood up.

"Now that you have successfully tracked down the drug industry, have you finally tracked the person who was behind the Indian drug market?"

Prayas and Jai's head whipped to mine. Bile rose in my throat. I gulped audibly.

"The...that person is dealt with. As of now the information is confidential. They were intelligent enough to go unnoticed by IB all these years...but now, I assure you that you will face no harm from them." I nodded.

"That is all for the questions session. Officer Veer said that he had an announcement to make." The director turned to me, "Please go on, officer."

I stood up. I heaved a heavy breath and looked into the audience. "I believe I have served well all these years as the Senior Intelligence Officer of IB, and I'm honoured that I have been able to serve this country."