Prologue

Thank you so much to @legobouquet  for writing this with me

hope ya'll like it

go follow her - @legobouquet  

-aeons and aeons ago -

Moon gazed at her lover, the radiant yet lovely Sun. He peered out of the window of her castle in the west, longing for his place back in the sky, hoping that Moon would come back so he could leap into his throne. His dazzling radiance seemed dim, and usually, his loving eyes never left hers , but tonight, something seemed wrong. He stared down, his golden eyes searching for something.

"My radiance, what bothers you tonight?" Moon asked.

"The sky of stars makes me wonder how long it would take for our love to die," his raspy voice replied.

"Sun, the moment you speak of will never come, and certainly not from my actions, why would you believe that?" her mellow voice came back.

"You would leave me, wouldn't you, and leave me to die."

"Never."

"Prove it," he replied.

Moon hesitated, and she realised how she would die without her lover. If he were to stop loving entirely, her magic would die, leaving her powerless.

"How?" she asked. To prove her love was to keep living.

"Seal our fates with me. Make me realise that our fates are intertwined."

"Are you asking me to marry you?" she asked in a trembling voice.

"I'm asking for much, much more than that."

~~~

"What is it that you want?" asked Moon. Sun grinned.

"Power," he whispered.

Moon's eyes widened in shock. Wasn't love enough? As if reading her thoughts, Sun added "or other elements. Other elements would be delightful."

"Like children?"

"Perhaps."

Children would be delightful. Moon knew that with their power, an act of love would be enough for a child. Like...like a kiss. But a kiss would be a transfer of power. Sun knew that. She knew that too. But to give up her power for the one she truly loved? She would do it with no regrets.

"Alright," she told him.

Grinning, he pressed his lips to hers. She shuddered at the delicate touch of his hand on her waist. He tasted warm and bittersweet, and the moment he let go, she rested her forehead on his, hearing every shallow breath he took. She smiled, feeling weak. He smiled back.

In a flash, the sky began to glitter. Two pieces of land emerged from the glitter. One of them was blazing and burning and had rays of red light emerging from them. There were trees with no leaves and barely any sign of life on them, and a bright orange light could be seen in the centre, flickering. The other island was a much simpler one, with just a small pool of water in the centre.

Sun jumped onto the fiery island, and Moon leaped to the simpler one. That had taken more energy than usual, Sun took more power out of her than expected. She dove into the water, pushing desperately, but her vision blurred more and more the deeper she dove. She kicked her legs as she descended to the bottom, her eyelids getting heavier. Everything went black as her body finally gave in to her exhaustion.