Chapter 2 - Enigmatic Encounter

"Hoshino... Ai...?" I repeated, trying to process the new information.

"Yes!" Kushida exclaimed.

"I see..." I murmured, still struggling to grasp the significance of the situation. My mind raced, attempting to understand the commotion surrounding this supposedly famous idol.

My eyes shifted toward Hoshino Ai, observing the chaotic scene unfold before us. People eagerly thrust their belongings toward her, requesting autographs and expressing their admiration. It seemed like everyone had their own unique requests and desires.

Amidst the flurry of activity, I couldn't help but notice Hoshino Ai's gaze. Her captivating eyes, resembling a brilliant shining star, scanned the growing crowd, clearly overwhelmed by the attention.

Then, unexpectedly, our eyes locked for a fleeting moment. Time seemed to slow down as our gazes intertwined, holding an unspoken connection. It was as if the world had momentarily frozen around us. But before I could fully process the encounter, Kushida's voice pierced through the momentary stillness, snapping me back to reality.

"Ayanokōji-kun! So... are you going to ask for her autograph as well?" she asked, curiosity brimming in her voice.

Shaking my head, I replied, "No, I'm not particularly interested."

"I see!" It seemed that Kushida was in the same case.

With that, I turned my attention away from the crowd and began walking alongside Kushida, making our way toward the campus. The overwhelming spectacle surrounding Hoshino Ai didn't hold the same allure for me, and I felt content in continuing my journey into the school.

As I strode off with the girl beside me, the weight of a pair of eyes lingered on my back. An instinctive feeling prompted me to halt my steps and cast a glance over my shoulder. My eyes met those of a short white-haired student, her cyan orbs fixed upon me with an intensity that piqued my curiosity.

Kushida, who had been walking beside me, also sensed my sudden pause and mirrored my actions, following my gaze to the mysterious girl. She furrowed her brows inquisitively and broke the silence with a question.

"Um... do you know her, Ayanokōji-kun?" Kushida asked, her voice laced with curiosity.

"No," I replied, my gaze still fixated on the enigmatic figure.

Intriguingly, the girl ceased her stride and diverted her path toward the campus like any other student. Her actions held an air of mystery, leaving me with an inexplicable sense of intrigue. I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to her than met the eye.

"That was weird," I stated, voicing my thoughts aloud.

"Mhm," Kushida murmured in agreement, her tone reflecting the shared perplexity.

With that brief encounter left unexplained, we collectively decided to dismiss the incident and continued our journey inside the school, heading towards our designated classroom.

It's not human.

Eventually, we stood before a door adorned with the label Class 1-D. The anticipation of a new academic year filled the air, evident by the few students scattered throughout the room and the several unoccupied seats awaiting their occupants.

My eyes scanned the classroom, observing the name tags affixed to each seat. I methodically searched until my gaze settled upon the tag bearing my name, nestled at the back row next to the window. It was a position that offered solitude and a vantage point to observe the whole classroom-an ideal seat for me, one that aligned with my preference for introspection.