Chapter 3 - Peculiar Individuals

After a few minutes of waiting, the first bell rang, punctuating the silence that enveloped the classroom. At that precise moment, a woman entered, her presence commanding attention. From her composed yet chilly demeanor, I surmised that she was our teacher. Clad in a tailored suit that accentuated her slender frame, she exuded an air of professionalism. Her delicate features were framed by a tightly pulled ponytail, adding a touch of severity to her appearance.

Without a flicker of emotion on her face, she strode purposefully toward the podium, each step calculated and precise. If pressed to guess, I would place her age in the mid 20s, but her stern countenance made it difficult to discern. Her stoic expression seemed to indicate that she was here solely for business, with little room for warmth or rapport.

Simultaneously, the chatter among my fellow students gradually subsided, replaced by an undercurrent of apprehension.

Finally reaching the teacher's podium, she cleared her throat, her voice devoid of any warmth as she addressed us. "Ahem. Good morning to you, students. I am the instructor for Class D. My name is Chabashira Sae," she stated matter-of-factly. "My usual area of expertise is Japanese history, but here at this school, the classrooms remain unchanged throughout the years. As a result, I will be your homeroom teacher for the next three years, and it is my expectation that we acquaint ourselves accordingly. Pleasure to meet you."

The absence of emotion in her words matched her impassive demeanor, and her lack of enthusiasm was palpable.

"In one hour's time, the entrance ceremony will commence in the gymnasium," she continued, her voice cool and detached. "However, prior to that, I will distribute written materials containing the school's special rules and the admissions guide. Familiarize yourselves with this information."

With a brisk motion, she retrieved the stack of papers and began distributing them methodically. The students in the front seats passed back the familiar documents I'd received after being accepted. Each student received their share as I accepted mine with a hint of curiosity.

This school diverged from the typical Japanese high schools in a few crucial aspects. Firstly, all students were mandated to reside in on-campus dormitories. Moreover, any form of communication with individuals outside the school was strictly prohibited. Even contacting immediate family members necessitated official authorization. Naturally, unauthorized departures from the school premises were strictly forbidden.

However, the campus boasted a plethora of exceptional amenities. From a dedicated karaoke spot and theater to a cozy café and boutique, the school could easily be likened to a miniature city. Spanning over an expansive 600,000 square meters, the campus provided ample space for its various facilities.

This school boasted another unique feature: the S-System.

"I will now distribute your student ID cards," she announced, her voice carrying a hint of authority. The anticipation in the room heightened as the cards symbolized our access to the various campus facilities, serving as our personal key to a multitude of possibilities. With these cards in hand, we could effortlessly navigate the campus, purchase goods from the store, and partake in a myriad of activities. Essentially, our student IDs acted as versatile credit cards, enabling us to indulge in the resources and amenities of the school.

"Your student cards function through a simple swipe mechanism," she continued, her words resonating through the room. "The process is straightforward, so there should be no confusion. Points will be automatically deposited into your accounts on the first of every month. By now, you should all have received an initial deposit of 100,000 points. Remember, each point holds the equivalent value of one yen. There is no need for further explanation."