Chapter 5

With a bit of a hop in her step, Lauren jumps down the stairs and hands me some clothes. "Sorry, pretty eyes, they'll probably be big for you cause you're quite a bit smaller than me." She says, ruffling my hair when she gets close enough. I nod and smile, silently thanking her.
"I put on fresh bedsheets for you.. and I think there's a clean towel in there? Just ask if there isn't." She continues, urging me to say something.
Eventually, I do. "Where are you gonna sleep, then?"
"Probably down here on the sofa. She'd kill me if I went into her room."
With a confused look on my face, she continues. "My roommate. She's gone to see family, but she's incredibly secretive about her room. Makes me wonder some time.." she says, voice eventually droning out. I giggle.
"What's the worst that's gonna be in there? It's not like she could drag a dead body in their without you knowing." Laughing out my words, I stand up from the sofa and head towards the stairs. "Don't be long!" She calls, "I still want to ask you some questions."
I shake my head in another fit of laughter as I make my way up the stairs and into the room Lauren came out of. In a way to cool off, I decided to shower. Cold water hits my skin, making me shiver and clear my mind. It was only quick, as Lauren had asked, and in a matter of ten minutes, I had the clean clothes on and tied my hair up in a small plaited twist. She was right when she said the clothes would be too big, the hoodie burying me. In fact, I didn't even bother with the shorts she's given me. The hoodie was long enough to cover everything up, so I just folded them and popped them away in one of her ten million draws.
"Hey beautiful? Are you done?" I hear her call up the stairs, shocking me out of my thoughts for the third time that day.
"Oh. Uhm. Yeah, coming, sorry!" I run down the stairs, tripping on the last couple of steps in my hurry.
"I've never met someone so clumsy, Jesus." She says, grabbing my hand to help me up after she's wandered towards me.
"Thanks, Lauren." I sigh sarcastically. She just smiles at me.
As soon as I was up, she'd gone away and sat back on the sofa before she glanced back up at me and smirked. "As much as I appreciate your eyes on me, I would prefer it if you would come sit with me instead." She laughs out, patting the space next to her. I make my way over to her, eyes never leaving her face and hers never leaving mine.
For some reason, being here felt so right.
"Do you do this often?" I find myself asking, that question niggling at the back of my head.
"Do what often?" She responds, handing me a blanket to covet up my bare legs.
"Take fans home with you."
Lauren raises her eyebrows at me, as if curious about my curiousness.
"I don't understand what you're not understanding? I don't, no. I'm not a player!"
I scoff before she looks at me and rolls her eyes. "Trust me on this, pretty. I'm not doing this as a joke. I dont just take people home with me for a laugh. Believe me when I say you're different. I didn't plan this, I'm simply doing this to help you out."
I nod at her. While she was talking, she'd grasped my hand and started to draw spirlas around my palm.
"Are you tired?" She asks, changing the subject.
"Not really. But feel free to go to bed. I won't go anywhere, promise." I say, eyes meeting Lauren's for a second.
"God, no. I'm not tired. I was just making sure. And anyways, you're sleeping on the bed."
I rolled my eyes at her for the many times that night. "Don't be stupid, you just played a great game of football, Hempo. You need a great rest to go with it."
"I'm not letting my guest sleep on the sofa."
"I'm not letting my football star sleep on the sofa."
"Your football star. I like the sound of that." She wiggles her eyebrows at me. For some reason, it felt right in that moment.
I lay my head down on her shoulder, obviously catching her off guard as she tenses, and then relaxes when she realises what happened. Her hand reaches up and strokes my head in a comforting way. With her fingers tracing through my scalp and her other hand tracing circles into mine, a warmth wiggled at my cheeks, bringing an odd sensation of safety and relaxation. We stay like this for a couple of minutes, our breathing syncing together.
"Wanna watch something, princess?" Lauren asks, breaking the silence.
I nodded against her shoulder, raising my head as she leaned forward for the TV remote. When she sits back against the sofa, she looks at me again. "Are you coming back?" She asks, motioning to her side and lifting her arm.
"Uhm. Is that alright?"
"Of course, if it is, pretty girl. Why else would I ask?" She smiles, no longer in a jokey way but soft and caring. I wiggle closer to her and nudge into her side again, her hand instantly returning to my hair.
"I think I've found a way to solve our sleeping arrangement problem." She says, setting up the TV onto some random Disney movie.
Raising my head, I tilt it to the side.
"Enlighten me."
"We could just stay here." Her voice says, muffled by my hair, where'd she'd lent down to kiss the top of my head. I hum in response.
"What better way to finish the season, hey beautiful? She laughs, rearranging the blanket across our knee.

(Im happy with this one. Sorry it's not been updated in a while! Please check out my other books and drop me a comment with any requests! Love ya <3)