The Apology Tour

The morning following Dovey learning the truth about you and Lesso...

Clarissa's hands were clammy. She couldn't stand when they got like this. As she walked through the hall, she rubbed them on her dress, trying to ease her nerves. 

It'll be fine. She thought to herself. I can do this.

She let out an exhale as she pushed open the doors to the dining hall. The students were already eating breakfast at one of the long tables and you and Lesso were sipping coffee at one of the smaller ones.

I can do this. She repeated again as she walked over to your table. She suddenly became increasingly aware of the sound her heels were making on the stone. 

You and Lesso were engaged in what looked to be an intense conversation; but as soon as Clarissa got close, Lesso's gaze rose to meet her.

"Good morning Clarissa," Lesso hummed happily, as you turned over your shoulder to greet the dean.

"Good morning Lady Lesso. Good morning Y/N," she replied.

You smiled at her, bowing your head. "Good morning," you cooed cheerfully.

"M-may I join you?" She asked nervously. She watched as you nodded and Lesso bowed her head.

"Of course, please!" You said, as you scooted over so she could pull up a chair.

She sat down, pulling her chair up to the table and smiling.

"Coffee?" Lesso asked, as she waved her hand and a tray floated up from the table behind her.

"Yes, please," Clarissa replied. A cup hovered over to her and she took it, inhaling the strong comforting scent. I can do this. She thought again.

For a moment, all three of you were silent; sipping your coffee. But eventually, the Dean of Good broke the tension.

"Y/N," she said, turning in her chair to face you. "I-um...would you like to go for a walk? In the garden?"

Lesso's eyebrow rose as she set down her coffee. You gave her a gentle look, silently asking her to relax; you were afraid she might get prematurely defensive after what happened last night. Eventually, your gaze shifted to Clarissa and a smile inched up your face.

"I would love to," you said, setting down your own cup. "Shall we go now?"

Dovey nodded; so you pushed your chair to stand, waiting for her to join you. As she stood she turned to flash a small smile in Lesso's direction.

"We'll be back soon," she whispered, trying to give Lesso reassurance that this wasn't meant to be any sort of attack.

Lesso nodded gently, settling back in her chair and returning to her coffee.

The sun was bright and warm, which helped to temper the chill in the air. You and Dovey each had cloaks draped over your shoulders; hers intricately detailed with golden embroidery, yours lined with a dark fur.

As you made your way into the garden, you could practically hear Dovey's heart beating. She was fiddling with her hands nervously and her ragged breaths were floating in the cold air.

"Y/N, I..." Dovey started nervously. "I want to apologize."

She stopped to look at you for a moment, sincerity in her face. "I've horribly misjudged you...and I fear I've ruined any potential of us having an amicable relationship."

She looked into your kind face, letting out a large exhale before continuing as she strolled along.

"I feel I should explain my...resistance towards you," she said, as you stepped further into the garden and sat down on a bench.