Baby Fever

I know I've written a few baby Rulaine imagines, but this idea popped into my head, so I had to write it. It's hella cute, though.😂

***

Rudy's POV

Today myself and my fiancée, Elaine, are babysitting our best friends' Chase and Kelsea's six month old daughter, Ivy, as they're off to a wedding where apparently no children are allowed. So we offered to watch her. I'm nervous, I'm not going to lie as I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I know they sleep, eat and cry etc. But I'm hoping I'll know what to do when the situation comes. I guess it's also good practice for us, for when we have a child of our own. We've been together 6 years now and have briefly discussed starting a family. We're not actively trying, but we're also not preventing it from happening. I've taken a break from acting and doing more with my photography so it wouldn't be the worst time if she did fall.

Our doorbell rang, meaning the Stokes' were here. "They're here." Elaine calls excitedly.
I laugh before opening the door.
"Hey guys," I greet, pulling Chase into a man hug. The girls hugging. "Hi Ivy." I coo, her little hand waving at us.
Elaine pouts at the cuteness. "Thank you so much for watching her," Kelsea starts. "Everything is in this bag. Bottles, milk, diapers, etc." She places the bag on the floor.
"We've both got our cells on loud in case there's any problems." Chase says.
I could tell he was nervous to leave her. "Dude, we've got this. I promise. She's in good hands." I reassure him.
"I know. I trust you both indefinitely." He smiles.

We were having her overnight as they wouldn't be home till late, and they didn't want to mess up their routine with her.
"Go. Before you're late. We'll ring if there's any problems." Elaine says, taking Ivy from her car seat, bouncing her on her knee. I smile at the small interaction.
They kiss Ivy goodbye as we walk into our living room with her. She places her down on the playmat and lays next to her. The interaction and bond these two have already made my heart full. She's a natural.
"Hey Ivy. Who's that?" She points to me. "That's Uncle Ru." She smiles. I smile, laying on the other side of her so Ivy's in the middle of us. Ivy looks at both of us, placing her hand on my face. "Hi Ivy." I gush, smiling as she giggles at me.
Yeah. This whole babysitting thing is gonna be easy.

***

Two Hours Later

"Why won't she stop crying?" Elaine cries, rocking her back and forth. We had tried everything. Feeding her. Changing her. Putting her down for a nap. We even took her to the park. Nothing. She's still crying.

"Let me try." I say, taking Ivy from Elaine.
"Hey, mini Stokes, what's wrong?" I coo, stroking her cheek. She takes my finger and starts sucking on it. Now I see the problem. "I  see the problem. She's teething." I say. There's one other thing I knew about babies at this age. They can start to teethe.
"Aww. Poor baby," Elaine pouts. "Shall we go buy her something from the shops?"
"Yeah. I'll go. You stay with Ivy." I reply.
"I think she likes you, Ru," She giggles. "I'll go." I nod, smiling at the little girl now content in my arms. She had seemed to settle and was quite happy sucking on my finger.
"Ok. Don't be long. I don't think I can do this without you." I admit.
"Yes, you can. But I won't be long, I promise." She smiles, kissing my lips and grabbing the car keys.
"It's just you and me, Ivy Mae." I kiss her forehead.
I can't help but admit, I quite liked this whole baby situation. Maybe we are ready for one of our own.

***

"Ru?" The sound of my fiancée's voice wakes me up. I honestly didn't realise I'd fallen asleep. "Hey, sleepy head." She chuckles.
"How long was I out?" I ask.
"About 20 minutes? I've just got back."
"I didn't even know I'd fallen asleep.  I just sat on the couch with her, watching her favourite programme and must have fallen asleep." I laugh.
"Well, clearly you've done something right, as she's absolutely out of it." She giggles. I look down to see Ivy fast asleep, laid on my chest.
"Bless her. She's so cute." I gush.
Elaine looks at me with heart eyes. "What?"
"Nothing. I just love how you look with a baby on your chest. You suit it." She gushes.
"Yeah?" I ask. She nods. "Am I dad material?"
"I think you could be, yeah." We both smile at each other.

I felt ready. I was ready for the next step. I'm 30 now, so I feel the time is right. I'm not getting any younger and don't want to wait too long to become a dad.

Just then, Ivy woke up crying, startling all three of us. I rock her as Elaine gives her a teething toy. She soon settled down and was back to being content.

***

It was 7:30 in the evening, and we'd just bathed Ivy, and it was up to me to get her to sleep. Elaine chose bath time. Therefore, I was doing bedtime.

Once I'd changed her into her pyjamas, I snuggled her into my arms and gave her a bottle.

I stare down at her in awe. She was absolutely beautiful, and I felt so proud of being an uncle to such a beautiful little girl.

Ivy stares are me with her beautiful eyes, and I instantly melted. "Why do you have to be so cute?" I coo, taking a hold of her hand. "Do you want a cousin to play with, hey?" She coos at me, gurgling. "Yeah? Do you want a best friend?" Again, she gurgles. "We'll have to ask Aunty El, won't we?"

"Ask Aunty El what?" I jump, not realising Elaine was stood at the door.
"This is a private conversation between Ivy and her favourite uncle." I smirk.
"Favourite uncle, huh?" She asks, giggling.
"Yes, she told me herself." I grin.
"Really? And what did she say?"
"She said 'uncle Ru, don't tell the others, but you're my favourite uncle.'" I smirk.
"I'm sure she did." Elaine giggles.
"She did," I laugh. "Isn't that right Iv-" I stop as I look down to see she's fast asleep. I carefully stood up and placed her in the travel cot we bought. Placing the baby monitor on, I leave the door ajar a little, and we head downstairs.
"I guess we have some talking to do." Elaine says once we sit down.
"I guess we do." I reply.

Part 2?