𝟏.𝟐

As the minutes dragged on in class, Charlotte found herself growing increasingly restless

As the minutes dragged on in class, Charlotte found herself growing increasingly restless. The tick of the clock seemed to echo in her ears, reminding her of the impending lunchtime meeting with Jane. The thought of food made her stomach grumble audibly, and she regretted skipping breakfast that morning.

Unable to focus on the lesson, she absentmindedly doodled little flowers in the margins of her notebook. The delicate strokes brought some temporary distraction, but it was clear that her mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Jane, Cynthia, and the fractures in their once unbreakable friendship.

As the lunch hour finally arrived, and the redhead girl made her way towards the designated meeting spot at the tables. However, a sudden idea struck her. She vividly remembered the countless lunches she had shared with Cynthia by the bleachers, their laughter and shared secrets filling the air. Perhaps, just perhaps, she could find her before meeting up with Jane and attempting to mend their broken bond.

As Charlotte made her way toward the bleachers, a glimmer of hope formed within her. She hoped that she would find Cynthia there. However, as she walked beneath the towering metal structure, her eyes landed on Jane, standing alone. A momentary confusion washed over her as she noticed a girl she knew named Olivia walking away from Jane, their interaction seemingly brief. Sensing the urgency, Charlotte quickened her pace and approached Jane, her concern evident in her grip on Jane's arm.

"Hey, Jane, what's going on?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine curiosity and a touch of worry.

Jane sighed, her face reflecting a mix of frustration and exhaustion. "I'm trying to clear the rumors," she replied, her voice tinged with defeat, "but talking to the girls seems to be a total fiasco."

Lottie felt a surge of empathy for her friend. She knew firsthand the challenges of combating rumors and the relentless nature of gossip. Before she could offer words of reassurance, their attention was captured by a familiar voice.

"Richie, Richie! Hi!" It was Susan, the blonde girl Charlotte had spotted at the drive-in the previous night. Her cheerful tone cut through the tension that had enveloped Charlotte and Jane.