𝟐.𝟏

The previous day had been a whirlwind of excitement for Charlotte, and after spending most of the afternoon with the girls, she discovered that she actually lived quite close to Jane

The previous day had been a whirlwind of excitement for Charlotte, and after spending most of the afternoon with the girls, she discovered that she actually lived quite close to Jane. The realization filled both of them with happiness, knowing that their proximity would make it easier for them to spend time together.

As Charlotte arrived home, she greeted her brother, Michael, with a warm smile and a quick hello before retreating to her room. The events of the day replayed in her mind, and a sense of contentment washed over her. This new year holds the promise of brighter days and new adventures with her newfound group of friends. With her heart full of happiness, Charlotte fell asleep, feeling as peaceful and serene as a sleeping baby.

The next morning, Charlotte woke up at her usual time and greeted the small portrait resting on her bedside table—a cherished memento of a loved one. She whispered a soft "good morning" to the picture before getting ready for the day. Choosing a light green skirt and a matching ribbon to style her vibrant red hair, she relished the simple joy of expressing herself through her outfit.

Once Charlotte was ready, she made her way downstairs and found her brother, Michael, already bustling around the kitchen. He greeted her with a cheeky smile, playfully calling her a "little thief." She rolled her eyes in response. Snatching the cup of coffee he offered, she retorted, "Oh please, I didn't steal it! I borrowed it!"

As Michael moved around the kitchen, preparing a small breakfast for them, he continued their banter. With a mockingly serious tone, he said, "Well, that's not what the school thinks." His words caught Lottie's attention, and a concerned look appeared on her face. Sensing her worry, Michael's tone softened as he explained, "The school called, but Mom missed their calls, as usual. So, Uncle Elton answered the phone, and he's very worried about his niece." He playfully signaled himself, adding, "Uncle Elton to the rescue."

Confusion filled Charlotte's voice as she responded, "Uncle Elton? He's on the other side of the country. What are you talking about?" Her brother chuckled and clarified, "Well, the school called a couple of times, and they couldn't reach Mom. So Uncle Elton, being the concerned uncle that he is, stepped in to handle the situation."

As they enjoyed their breakfast together, laughter filled the air. Charlotte and Michael put aside any concerns about their mother, finding solace in their shared bond and sibling camaraderie. After a few minutes of light-heartedness and indulging in their meal, they tidied up and put the dishes away.

Feeling a surge of affection for her brother, Charlotte moved closer to him and embraced him tightly. With a genuine sense of gratitude, she whispered a heartfelt "thank you." The embrace held an unspoken understanding of their unwavering support for each other.

After a few more minutes of comfort in the warmth of their home, the siblings set off toward school.

As Charlotte arrived at school, she bid farewell to her brother, and their paths diverged. She eagerly made her way toward one of the school entrances, her excitement palpable. She couldn't contain her joy, especially knowing that she and Cynthia were more than fine. The thought filled her heart with warmth, and she couldn't wait to see the other girls. She longed to get to know them better, eager to forge deeper connections. She just hoped that they liked her.